Smoke and Bubbles

bpratt

Senior elf
I've been thinking about adding a smoke and bubble machine to my show for many months now, and now it's really time to make a decision on what to get on to.

Been looking at these two from DJ City.

https://djcity.com.au/product/beamz-sb1500-led-smoke-bubble-machine/ $249

and

https://djcity.com.au/product/beamz-sb2000-led-smoke-bubble-machine/ $329

Differences are apparently minor, but are heating elements 1500w versus 2000w , and 12 leds versus 18 leds

On DJ City, says 4 dmx channels, but on the Tronios (manufacturer) site, it says 8 dmx channels.

The 2000 is a larger unit, and obviously heavier too, but that's not an issue to me.

Tending to think 'bigger is better', but is it really worth it ?

Looking at feedback and suggestions. :)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
What @SmartAlecLights posted above is not small, but it's versatile.

Fog comes out hot from the machine and fills the bubbles. With a fog chiller like Alec's it cools the fog down so the bubbles will hang around lower.
I've done the same with a fog machine behind and a dryer ventilation hose between.

bpratt

Senior elf
i used a seperate smoke machine and bubble machine
131640321_3826398177371887_4458779706965114634_n.jpg
Sadly your photo didn't show up for me, but separate machines is an option.

I see in Mark's reply, he mentions your one is a fog chiller.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I bought the 1500W smoke machine only earlier this week. It produces a lot of smoke! It surprised me how much and was worried someone passing by might call the fireys. The chiller works at keeping the smoke a bit lower the ground before filling up the neighbourhood.
Brisbane DJCity has very little stock at the moment so order your stuff online

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
You get an extra rotating bubble wand with the more expensive one. I killed one (wand stopped turning) during the first season but warranty fixed it. I know another member had an issue with the power supply but you get the Australian warranty with it. Big massive hit for kids and if you buy their scents to add to the mixture (you don't need much) it gives the atmosphere another depth.

Here is picture from the 2000w unit. I have another one going in this years display
f3a0fa92ee3a90063ac96e0ac15e4b45.jpg

08b13fa1c54c4aceed8311e808e9d5e0.jpg

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
What @SmartAlecLights posted above is not small, but it's versatile.

Fog comes out hot from the machine and fills the bubbles. With a fog chiller like Alec's it cools the fog down so the bubbles will hang around lower.
I've done the same with a fog machine behind and a dryer ventilation hose between.
That bin was more for a storage of smoke so the pressure never popped the bubbles, But i am wondering if i made it a chiller if the bubbles will float further

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
That bin was more for a storage of smoke so the pressure never popped the bubbles, But i am wondering if i made it a chiller if the bubbles will float further
I think it should, I made a simple heat exchanger out of some 25mm black irrigation pipe from Bunnings and fitted that into a plastic bin which was filled with ice. The difference with and without was quite noticeable.PXL_20211028_061409131.jpgPXL_20211028_061521211.jpg

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I think it should, I made a simple heat exchanger out of some 25mm black irrigation pipe from Bunnings and fitted that into a plastic bin which was filled with ice. The difference with and without was quite noticeable.View attachment 18626View attachment 18627

is it better for the smoke to go a pipe cooler like you have, or let the smoke work it way thought the ice?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The guy at DJCity said dry ice is better if you want smoke to go through it and cool down but with water ice it doesn't take long for the ice to melt and create too much back pressure on the smoke machine output trying to push the smoke through water. I chose the coil pipe method because party ice is cheaper and easier to get on a weekend and I only need it for the weekend on Halloween.

bpratt

Senior elf
You get an extra rotating bubble wand with the more expensive one. I killed one (wand stopped turning) during the first season but warranty fixed it. I know another member had an issue with the power supply but you get the Australian warranty with it. Big massive hit for kids and if you buy their scents to add to the mixture (you don't need much) it gives the atmosphere another depth.

Here is picture from the 2000w unit. I have another one going in this years display
Sounds pretty good to me.

I'll have to get more details on the scents you can get for them then.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Here are the scents

I go the cool mint as it has a candy cane smell to it. (I had someone think it was hand sanitizer and actually asked me how I got it into the smoke o_O ).

This year as I am running two of the machines I invested in making my own 30% / 70% smoke fluid from pharmaceutical grade Glycerin (costs me $49 per 20 liters rather than $150 from DJ City.) I also buy the Gazillion bubbles from Big W way more cost effective than DJ city.

Last edited:

bpratt

Senior elf
Here are the scents

I go the cool mint as it has a candy cane smell to it. (I had someone think it was hand sanitizer and actually asked me how I got it into the smoke o_O ).

This year as I am running two of the machines I invested in making my own 30% / 70% smoke fluid from pharmaceutical grade Glycerin (costs me $39 per 20 liters rather than $150 from DJ City.) I also buy the Gazillion bubbles from Big W way more cost effective than DJ city.

Cool, thanks for that. The Cool Mint scent might be a winner these days.

$7 for 2 litres is a huge saving. :)

darylc

404 darylc not found

$7 for 2 litres is a huge saving. :)

As long as you are willing to deal with the huge amounts of 'foam' it produces in the bubble trays and scoop it out.