Smoke and Bubbles

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
This year as I am running two of the machines I invested in making my own 30% / 70% smoke fluid from pharmaceutical grade Glycerin (costs me $39 per 20 liters rather than $150 from DJ City.) I also buy the Gazillion bubbles from Big W way more cost effective than DJ city.
now i have to know your source for that great price,, i got my glycerlin for $39 but only 5Liters. do you have a link

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
As long as you are willing to deal with the huge amounts of 'foam' it produces in the bubble trays and scoop it out.
Daryl I have herd 'Fairy' dish washing up liquid is the way to go for big strong bubbles.
My attempts failed..
still trying different ways tho

Last edited:

bpratt

Senior elf
Now I've discovered there's some 'cleaning fluid' available for these machines. The cheapskate in me wants to know of cheaper alternatives to the branded ones. :)

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
I don't know about the cleaning fluid I never clean mine. It just works.
Agreed there is a bit more foam but for the price vs the AVE stuff from Dj City the 2 seconds to clear the foam isn't a big deal when you refill it.

You can get it on ebay 20L Glycerol / Glycerin. I ended up talking to a guy and he gave me a business card going direct to him via email 20L costs $78 excluding dangerous goods shipping. Then I went around on ebay and found distilled water which is what you need to make it. 40L was around $58 on ebay a place that sells dentist equipment sells it bulk.

I'm going to meet one of my mates chemists to ask about bubbles to find a more economical way to make bubbles. He also assisted with sourcing at a good rate.

I found during experiments that using the generic Kmart bubble fluid the AVE fluid and the Dish soap I could never get a longer lasting bubble than the gazillion. The Gazillion lasts a lot longer in my opinion and will happily go 2 streets away with the fog still in it.

Jimbo

Full time elf
I used 2 of these machines for about 4 years. Can vouch for the Big W Gazillion bubbles! The machines would run for about 40-60 seconds in the show run time sequence which was about 8 minutes long controlled through DMX. One bottle of Gazillion would last about 2 nights.

I made my own smoke fluid too using glycerin (used only about 200ml Glycerine to a 2l distilled water as I only need a light smoke). I ordered distilled water through woolworths home delivery - I think the maximum allowed was 50 bottles at a time. Got some very strange looks from the delivery person when delivered!

bpratt

Senior elf
So the Gazillion bubbles, you use it straight out of the bottle, or do you dilute it down at all ?? .... going to have to find my way down to my nearest Big W to get a few bottles if used un-diluted.

The distilled water from Woolies, that's a 2 litre bottle.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
so what is the most successful youtube video to watch for how to turn glycerin and distilled water in to fog juice ? :)
Just a 20% Ratio for standard smoke or 30% for heavy smoke. you really don't need heavy smoke as I actually set my machine to 20% fog output.

bpratt

Senior elf
got a mint one today.... supposed to be one drop per litre I thought I'd read, but couldn't smell it.... maybe I need more than that one drop. :)

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
got a mint one today.... supposed to be one drop per litre I thought I'd read, but couldn't smell it.... maybe I need more than that one drop. :)
I got a mint one a week or so ago, and did a quick test, I couldn't really smell it either.