Soldering crimp connectors

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
we're lazy? I don't pronounce the 'h' in herbs or the 'p' in pneumatic either....very interesting question and quick google search didn't return anything quickly appearing to valuable.

Another good one, if it's tooth/teeth and goose/geese, why isn't it book/beek?

...along with just getting my first strips last week, I just did my first solder ever this weekend so not qualified to comment on solder and crimp, but lots of good info here as usual.

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Fing said:
plasmadrive said:
Fing said:
Surprisingly a proper crimped connection gives a better joint than soldering. Lash out and buy some good quality "ratchet" crimpers from an electrical wholesaler. Automotive type crimpers are basically useless.

Cheers
Fing

Being a long time control panel eng and manufacturer, I have a real hard time with this statement. Have you anything to back this up? I would be very curious to see the data..

Crimp connections with the proper tool are very good, however, a solder connection done correctly is better as far as I can tell. Crimp connections in certain situations can have expansion and contraction issues over time with heat and cold. Solder not as much... at least in my experience.

As well, by many codes and standards you can solder multiples of wires (more than 2) together as a single joint where as the same is not usually true of a crimp connection.... There are of course some exceptions..

Hi Plasma,
I've been in the industrial electronics control workplace for 35yrs and have always been under the impression that "crimp beats solder". Where this came from I don't know, so I accept your challenge to find some data to support or reject this idea ;) .

to start I found this from a RF manufacturer http://www.rfcoaxconnectors.com/Technical_CrimpvsSolder.htm

This site was also very interesting http://www.marinewireandcable.com/2013/11/crimping-vs-soldering-marine-cable-and.html

Their drawback #4 which deals with crimp then solder addresses one of your other posts. they describe it as "functionally unnecessary", which is what I've always been told.

This site has some interesting photo's, which i think gets to the heart of the matter. The question should be "which is better, for what application, and who/how are the joints made ?" http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/139795-the-ultimate-answer-on-solder-vs-crimp/

But all this is insignificant against the real question…. "why is it that Americans don't pronounce the "L" in soLder?" ;)

Cheers
Fing

Interesting reading. Well done.. Not sure either is actually about what I was envisioning with fork or ring terminals, but non the less, it is good research.

The RF one seems to counter dict itself a few times but I get the meaning.. however it does say solder is one of the most reliable methods..... but them goes on to extol the virtues of crimping..

The Marine one doesn't really say much about crimp then solder other than not necessary. It has a good point about reflowing under a short circuit high current condition.

The last one was kind of a hobby thing, but he did have a good point that you couldn't really tell them apart.

Challenge completed! Nicely done.

We always crimped then soldered the high power connections because even with the ratching crimps, over time we experienced a few failures. Never when we did both.

And I don't think we Americans named solder... I think it was the same people that came up with Should and Would.. 8)

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Plasma,

that's a great article on Silent "L", these things fascinate me. I also find it very interesting that language and spelling is changing as a result of SMS and internet use, and that the change can be very fast on a global scale.

Cheers
Fing

multicast

Senior elf
which brings on the question of course is why do Australians eat Feeesh and Cheeps, but kiwis eat Fush and Chups.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Call me crazy, but I will always solder (not soudur as I am new age :D ) any connection whether it crimped or not.
I have worked in the electronics industry for 30 plus years and the only solder connections that cause problems are cold solder.
Where the heat was not transferred to the wire/connection being soldered enough which just melted the solder into a blob and didn't flow to the wire.
There has also been a lot of crimped terminals in items that I have had to repair that caused strange and hard to trace faults. Often a crimped earth.