Some of My LED's Stay Turned On Even When Channel Is Off

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
I am trying to use LED's for the first time this year. I purchased LED icicle lights for the roof. I have about 12 of them across the roof line but only 3 of them plugged in together. My problem is that some of the strands will stay on even when the song is over or the channel is turned off... even when the computer is turned off and no show is running. I have tried attaching one incandescent bulb to the end with no effect.[/size]Any ideas?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL.

What sort of board are you using. The incand bulb is traditionally used when used on AC boards like LOR ones. It is possible that you have a shorted mosfet (for DC boards) or triac (for AC boards). the commonest cause for both of these is generally an overload or wires that have been shorted.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Also, depending on the following will change how to fix it. Do the lights which are staying on turn on as soon as you power up your controller? Or do they stay off until you turn them on in the sequence but then not turn back off?

The former will likely be a mosfet/triac issue (depending on DC/AC board) but the latter will be the result of using LEDs with the AC board, and more power is needed to get it to flick off. (E.g. one of those 1 metre rope light shapes)

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
ryanschristmaslights said:
Also, depending on the following will change how to fix it. Do the lights which are staying on turn on as soon as you power up your controller? Or do they stay off until you turn them on in the sequence but then not turn back off?

The former will likely be a mosfet/triac issue (depending on DC/AC board) but the latter will be the result of using LEDs with the AC board, and more power is needed to get it to flick off. (E.g. one of those 1 metre rope light shapes)

They usually stay off until I use them in a sequence, then "some" strands stay on while others turn off. The LED'S are AC and I am using an AC LOR (CTB16PC). It is 110 v.

If I understand your fix correctly, you are saying that I need more incandescent bulbs at the end? I just have one attached currently.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
OK, it sounds like you're pulling too little power for the triac to operate correctly. As the LOR AC boards were built originally for the US 110v market, the "sticky channels" issue is unique to places like Australia and the UK that have 24v lights running through plugpack adapters. You may find that the longer your AC boards are powered up the higher chance you get a sticky channel. I power mine off each night and flick on within 30 minutes of the light display starting.

If you have an old set of incandescents that you don't use out in the display or a small length of rope light, plug this into the sticky channel via a powerboard and the issue should go away. I use the $5 1 metre Go-Lo/Crazy Clarks/Sams Warehouse indoor motifs, undercover. Though as I don't have much AC left now that means I have less need to boost the power usage with dummy loads :) .

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
ryanschristmaslights said:
OK, it sounds like you're pulling too little power for the triac to operate correctly. As the LOR AC boards were built originally for the US 110v market, the "sticky channels" issue is unique to places like Australia and the UK that have 24v lights running through plugpack adapters. You may find that the longer your AC boards are powered up the higher chance you get a sticky channel. I power mine off each night and flick on within 30 minutes of the light display starting.

If you have an old set of incandescents that you don't use out in the display or a small length of rope light, plug this into the sticky channel via a powerboard and the issue should go away. I use the $5 1 metre Go-Lo/Crazy Clarks/Sams Warehouse indoor motifs, undercover. Though as I don't have much AC left now that means I have less need to boost the power usage with dummy loads :) .

What is a powerboard?

Can I just plug more incandescents in at the end or beginning of my run?

Maybe if I make my run of LEd's longer. Currently I have SPT2 wire running along my soffit line. Every 3 strands of LED's lights I attached a female plug inline (of the SPT wire) and attach the next 3 strings of LED lights. Maybe if I make my run of LED lights longer (5 strands) there will be enough power pull to turn off the lights?

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Oops, sorry I assumed you were posting from Australia. Powerboard over here is what you guys call Powerbricks/Powerstrips. You might be able to add lights in-line but I am not at all experienced in the US lights so someone else may be able to step in and help :) . I haven't heard of the sticky channel issue happening in the US until now.

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Okay. I think I have the concept. I am not drawing enough power. I need to increase it somewhat by making my strands longer or adding something to the beginning/end of the strands to draw more power.

Thanks for the new term! I know them as power strips.

I am from sunny Florida. Close to where the space shuttles used to launch! Believe it or not, our city name is Melbourne.

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Just an update. I tried everything we discussed without success. I ended up moving the channel to another open channel and everything is now working fine. I guess the triac is bad?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
djohnson1810 said:
Just an update. I tried everything we discussed without success. I ended up moving the channel to another open channel and everything is now working fine. I guess the triac is bad?

Sounds like it. Check out this wiki page for details on how to test your board.