stupid questions we are asked

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Happens every year people ask the craziest things virtual santa is a ripper many believe that there is a real person in costume in house . The latest most frequently asked questions other than power bill is where can we buy a tree like that reffering to mega tree then we explain that its custom built by ourselves and briefly explain the setup and costs to build programming etc etc once you have told them their is a brief silence and blank look on faces especially after telling rough cost for project ! Then they generally tell you about another similar trees in other suburbs obviously other acl members as we know I will reply oh thats such and suches display and they also have custom built etc etc . But yes funnily many believe or think that you just go and buy a 6.5m pixel tree take it out of box plug it in and go .well thats our new frequently asked question for this year would be good to hear others storys and stupid questions merry xmas guys

I would love to sell them as kits... but i could only imagine the headaches with customers and the approval process.

I had someone ask me last night how much i spent. I told them i stopped counting at 2K... he thought it would of been a lot more.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
I am been ask if l could get they were able to get the radio station that l broadcast the music on all year round.

the grinch

Haha yes another one we get constantly is this all running off your solar panels on the roof ! Reply I would like to use is Its solar not lunar panels 8) Or yes all the lights are uv and reproduce electricity through solar panels lol :D

cdjazman

Full time elf
As I was "tinkering" with the lights the other night.

I was asked "Is this your house"

I replied "Yes"

Follow up question "Did you do all this?"

the grinch

cdjazman said:
As I was "tinkering" with the lights the other night.

I was asked "Is this your house"

I replied "Yes"

Follow up question "Did you do all this?"

Aha yes then next question is how long does it take to setup . Have always thought need a answer board outside with answers to frequently asked questions about the display as we are asked same every night but thats all part of it am used to it and really don't mind .I just am amused with some people s comments and questions

i13

Dedicated elf
The viewers ask me questions and expect short answers which don't exist. A common question here is "How did you get the lights in time with the music?"
I reply saying there's no short answer but I'll go through it if you want.

"How long did this take?" is another one that comes up. Again there's no short answer - learning the required background knowledge, building and wiring new display items, hacking store-bought lights, configuring hardware and software, sequencing, physically setting up, repairing faulty light sets... The list is a mile long and no-one expects it.

A better common question is how I get the lights up so high in the tree. I reply saying it's a combination of a 1.8 metre ladder and JUMPING!!!! and then say I use an enormous fishing rod rather than jumping.

Amusing thread title when we keep saying there are no stupid questions on ACL :D . It's nice when the viewers take an interest.

the grinch

Amusing thread title when we keep saying there are no stupid questions on ACL :D . It's nice when the viewers take an interest.

aha yes agreed i13 if could change possibly would be interesting and frequently asked questions! And absolutely is great too have admirers at our displays as for our circumstances and surely many others i reckon i would get bored after some time just enjoying the lights by myself and no one to share the experience with just with some of the comments and questions are amusing too me anyways !

i13

Dedicated elf
I understand and agree with what you're saying though. It's unlike new forum members asking questions because the viewers aren't trying to learn how it is done. I have better conversations with the ones who are.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
A list.
1. where did you buy the kit from.
2. (santa) is that a hologram?
3. how long to set it up
4. is this your house ( i'm out the front giving out candy canes ::) )
5. how do you know what song they'll play on the radio?
6. how do you get the tree to spin ( my fav so far..)

I also enjoy watching people trying to tune their radios in...lol

cheers
Fing

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Is this really someone's house? (said by many kids)

Why isn't the music up louder? (Time ~9:30 PM, and usually asked by the 'loud' mouth)

Why don't you get one of those laser star projectors for the driveway?

Tonight: There's another house which has the interactive display like this (actually referring to pixel strip)

Can I park here? (in front of LARGE traffic cones?) :mad:

What? I can't park across this driveway? I'll only be 5mins ::)

the grinch

Hey fing yes can relate too most of your list except the radio as we dont do the tune to have music playing in front yard have good neighbors and luckily spread apart a little . The spinning tree ... well yes thats a beaudy I remember when we built the mega tree as a static 10 yrs ago or more had blinky leds all over was cool as I thought anyways we had a bit of griswald light up heaps of people for light up and was great success and we was so proud of our efforts until the two cheeky little brats from across the road asked when is it going to spin jason ! lol and well now it looks like its spinning

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
And whilst not a question asked - the amount of people who try to enter swear words, body parts, and other foul words via my "Name in Lights" Wi-Fi portal never ceases.

Do they really think I'd allow P***S or C**T to go up on the roof (usually in front of young children at the same time)?

What is even more funny (for me) - is Request #1 is often their First Name, #2 a Surname? #3 The auto-banning keyword! :p