The Phantom Manor 2017 progress

JonD

New elf
I just thought I would jump on the bandwagon and show off the progress of this years haunt.
This is our 11th year of celebrating halloween and the 4th year of our indoor attraction.
Last years haunt was a pretty big year with a major renovation of all the internal walls taking what was a 6mtr x 11mtr garage and turning it into an old style manor house. (no room for cars now)
This year we continued the major behind the scenes works with upgrading and installing all new show controllers. last year we had purchased one Boobox flex max from Frightprops and now this year we purchased another 2 and also 2 Boobox Flex (smaller version of the flex max).

full

One of the many things we found last year after having 450+ people show up on halloween night was that we needed to streamline the show a little (last year we had a 1hr line up) so to do this I have created 5 seperate show rooms that will allow us to have a constant flow of guests (last year we only had 2 show rooms)
Our shows are broken down so that at anyone time we have guests in all sections of the manor.

The Foyer is our first room and is controlled by the operator at the front door its this operators job to place people into groups of 4-5 this room is fully Automatic once the operator hits to go button. From doors automatically closing lights sound and visuals are all controlled by the boobox flex max.
full

The library: This was last years first showroom being that the foyer was just used as a holding room.
Now that this is the second show room our guests have already been given the storyline and it continues in this room. Last year we had one startle effect of the chandeliers falling from the roof this has been a popular effect for the past 3 years in this room so re decided to remove it and maybe bring it back later in the lounge room.
Our popular hidden doorway still remains behind the bookcase being held closed by an electromagnet till its time to move on. Our bookcase also houses the startle scare of the books being thrown off the shelves. this is all accomplished with the use of 5x solenoid valves along with 5x pneumatic pistons. the books are all hard covers filled with foam.
A new addition to the library is the Picture of the man of the house this picture remains static for the most part until he hangs himself this effect Is programmed along with the dropping of a red curtain showing his skeletal remains still hanging by the noose. this is also were we get to use our new Antari vertical fogger with led lights.

full

Once you manage to retreat from the library you are ushered into the hidden door behind the bookcase into a small hallway and shut in. from this holding room you will be ushered into last years favourite addition the elevator. this full sized elevator comes with 2x fully automatic sliding doors a large rear screen tv mounted into the wall shows you the images of you ascending 13 floors before the cables snap and you plummet back to the ground with a huge thud. All this is accomplished with some very big airbags and a extremely solid floor frame. This room has also been given a new audio track to continue with the storyline.
full

The lounge this is where we are currently up to the plans are we have 3x new pantings on the wall that are triggered once you got off the elevator the paintings are utilising vision from Atmosfear Fx, 3x 32 inch led tv's and 3x Media Sprite boxes from Frightprops. Along with the paintings we have a few little startle effects planned along with a new audio track.

Last years Haunt had you depart the elevator into a basement that was used to house the zombies, although this looked good it did scare a few of the little ones a but to much so this year we have created a second area on our back deck called area 9 this will be full of the zombie attractions and effects along with a few other tricks and surprises.

full

JonD

New elf
Thanks everyone. It’s been a big passion of mine to build this up over the years. Most of my time has been spent on research trying to figure out how to make something do what you want it to do and what products are available. But Just like the Christmas lights once you know what you want to do it’s all full steam ahead only slowing to allow the bank balance to catch up. And considering most of what I needed was only available from the states and with our crappy exchange rate there was lots of waiting

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI @JonD how did your Halloween go? Any new photos or videos of the night?

marmalade

cats & pixels
Having had a behind the scenes look at this it was obvious the immense effort that's gone into it, the elevator fall was especially well done with the moving floor, and the zombie enclosure is quite realistic (and will be emotionally scarring to little kids lol) once the green fogger gets going at the end. Apparently a massive lineup most nights!

JonD

New elf
HI @JonD how did your Halloween go? Any new photos or videos of the night?
Hi @djgra79 yes it went very well minus a couple of little hiccups it all went very smoothly. not sure on exact numbers but we estimate around the 350 - 380 mark.

Having had a behind the scenes look at this it was obvious the immense effort that's gone into it, the elevator fall was especially well done with the moving floor, and the zombie enclosure is quite realistic (and will be emotionally scarring to little kids lol) once the green fogger gets going at the end. Apparently a massive lineup most nights!

Thanks @marmalade it was a pleasure to show you around. The elevator is always a huge hit as I don't think anyone expects that type of effect in a residential haunt.
the Zombie box was also a huge hit I heard it go off outside constantly all night.
I did have a small issue with the Air vortex that is attached to it not blasting the expected amount of air I have a 1/2inch solenoid attached to it but it must not be able to handle the correct amount of air or something as it just had a small blast of air. so something for me to investigate during the next 12 months :)
I had a few people take some video footage and I am trying to get it off them to share. also I have yet to do my personal video that I usually do after the season has quite down. I will post what I can shortly :)

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I really appreciated being shown around as well. I agree, the elevator is very well done, as is the rest of the show, a lot of dedication and effort.