Use of powerline devices to reduce cat5 cabling

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
I am in the process of layout my Cabling for Xmas Controllers and I can across the following Powerline device http://www.netgear.com.au/service-provider/products/powerline-and-coax/powerline/XAVB1004.aspx They use the AC house wiring to send the ethernet data.

Has anyone used a similar device to extend the network out into the yard.
I was thinking I could run 240 volt power to central point where I will mount my power supplies and then use the 1-4 ethernet ports to drive controller this should cut down the long runs of ethernet cables

I could also use the cheaper single port clones on ebay

Jeff

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i read into them, they do state such things like fridge's an washing machine motors can cause sudden glitch's..
so should be ok for internet , but not for a light show

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
they can work sometimes. but generally only on the same power circuit. I use them sometimes with work to get internet to tv's. the data rate can be less then wireless sometime.
I wouldn't personally go there

cozbert

Full time elf
i have used them for my cousins place so she can use her xbox from her room and had nothing but trouble with them since i installed them, i will be putting in a cable shortly.

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
Darn, looks like I redraw cable layout using switches

Thanks for your input

Jeff

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I wouldnt use this method at all as it is heavily based on error correction algorithams to be able to see the data amongst all the other electrical noise. This is why X10 is not reccommended for sequencing as the reaction times can be delayed and the same would apply for a powerline network. So not really a good choice at all if looking at running E1.31

kool-lites

Full time elf
One of the disturbing issues with ACL is there are more opinions than fact / experience.
This thread is a fine example 4 replies 1 with actual experience.

A number of diyc users use these units in their display successfully.

I have no need to use them so i won't comment on the OP.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
In general, a cabled connection will usually be more reliable than a wireless connection.
C'mon David - keep it on topic - we're not talking about wireless here!!

For the record, I use a powerline ethernet device for my wife's computer (netgear Av+500). Even though I ran a huge amount of cat5e around the house when I built (about 50 odd runs), I missed the location that my wife's laptop ended up in.. We used wireless for a while (the router was only 3 metres away), but it was so problematic, that I got the above device, and it's pretty rock solid (the quality varies a lot between different brands, and also what devices are on the same circuit)

Although I obviously haven't tested it with e1.31 data, given how stable it has been for general use, I couldn't see it being a problem if that was your only option...
That being said, I'd always use Cat5 if I could help it!

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
kool-lites said:
One of the disturbing issues with ACL is there are more opinions than fact / experience.

I would not call it a disturbing issue, I mean, think about it, we have people who away from this hobby are professionals in their businesses that deal with this sort of stuff daily.

To put it bluntly, we would all agree that jumping falling off a roof is a bad idea, because of the injuries you are likely to get, but only one person can vouch for this. Isnt that right steve. However in my profession, i can tell you now, that it is definately not the best way to get down from the roof if you wish to avoid injuries.

*edit* on the flip side, I would be ambivalent about using ethernet over power, mainly because it is best used on a seperate circuit.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Kane said:
David_AVD said:
In general, a cabled connection will usually be more reliable than a wireless connection.
C'mon David - keep it on topic - we're not talking about wireless here!!

OK, I'll revise that to what I meant. "A hard wired connection will almost always be more reliable than one that isn't." :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
kool-lites said:

Can you give some examples of systems that have used this method and at what scale they have used this (eg channels, e1.31?) so people may learn instead of just adding your own opinion

kool-lites

Full time elf
Eddy
I am sure you have read the same threads as i have. RPM reported he had used them, you find the link.

I have not, so i can't have comment.If you don't like delete my account.