Using Aluminium Profile for Permanant Lighting

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Earlier in the year i Imported a whole heap of different types of 3 metre diffussed aluminium profile. I installed some of this onto my house so i can have permanant outline lighting. The diffussed profile looks great both during the day and during the night.
I normally have the lights setup to do a slow colour change and then when there is an occassion like Mothers day, i used pink effects, St patricks day I used green effects, Australia Day i used green and gold effects and so on
Here are some pics of how it turned out, i need to add some day time pics to also show how clean it looks during the day

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• House 1.JPG
    House 1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 498
  • House 2.JPG
    House 2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 499

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
JCMarksafb said:
Looks very nice eddy. I would imagine they would look great on the underside of deck railings and stairways.

These are the types i have available including stairway profile, wall profile, ground profile and recessed deck profile, they all look great

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• profile.JPG
    profile.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 484
  • profile board.JPG
    profile board.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 483

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Looks really good.
I did something similar earlier last year and have a couple of strip up permanently tucked under the eave but was a bit more basic attaching it to 20mm conduit. Not as clean-a-look during the day compared to your aluminium profile. There is a place locally selling the different profiles you have shown and I have been toying with the idea of getting some to replace the conduit. I think I will now.

Attachments

• Photo 12-05-14 7 40 58 pm.jpg
    Photo 12-05-14 7 40 58 pm.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 46

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just a couple of questions eddy
1) how are they attached to the house...... double sided tape, screwed ......
2) what are you using to control them.

Mine are attached to a fairly simple small RGB controller that uses a remote to change the colour so I have to be at home to do so. I do, however, have it hooked up to a WeMo switch so it is set to come on 15 mins after sunset and go off at around 10:30pm so even when we are away, it comes on and goes off as if someone is home which is good (got a couple of lamps inside also using WeMo switches to give that "staying in" look). I can also turn them on and off from my phone from anywhere as well.
I ask about the controller (which I'm guessing will be a Minleon one in your case eddy) becuase I would also to control the RGB side of the lights via my phone not only while at home but also while away and was wondering if anyone could recommend a simple, and not too expensive 3 channel wifi controller (maybe someone has found on Alliexpress) that would do the job well. I'm guessing it would need to cope with 6amps output per channel as I am running two 5m strips of 12v dumb RGB.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
eddy , any change of prices for meter lengths or how ever they come?
as i have seem them on aliexpress an wondering who would be cheaper an easyer to get the stuff through
thanks

Fasteddy said:
JCMarksafb said:
Looks very nice eddy. I would imagine they would look great on the underside of deck railings and stairways.

These are the types i have available including stairway profile, wall profile, ground profile and recessed deck profile, they all look great

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Pricing doesnt include shipping and is charged as a per metre basis and sold as 3 meter lengths only which is not commonly available. but 3 metre lengths make for a cleaner looking installation

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Aluminium Profile Price.JPG
    Aluminium Profile Price.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 473

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
Just a couple of questions eddy
1) how are they attached to the house...... double sided tape, screwed ......
2) what are you using to control them.

1: I have screwed these in as this is a permanent installation and im using the HL-BALP-10 for the 2nd storey and the HL-BALP-11 for the ground level lighting. These come with an aluminium extrusion that you can mount first and then clip the diffuser and aluminium profile to this. This allows for easier installation and maintenance

2: Im using the Minleon Wireless Effects Controller (WEC) which allows me to control wirelessly via my phone or computer or tablet. I can also connect this up to my home network if desired which could then allow me to connect remotly

I also have this on a daylight switch and a timer so its fully automated. I run a standard colour changing effect normally but i ramp it up with flowing effects when there is an event, like Mothers day i used pink effects. the controller also has the ability to upload a basic custom created effect and allows me to choose 3 colours to be used with certain effects

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
2: Im using the Minleon Wireless Effects Controller (WEC) which allows me to control wirelessly via my phone or computer or tablet. I can also connect this up to my home network if desired which could then allow me to connect remotly

Thanks for the info. The WEC sounds very very interesting. Might make some enquiries.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I sell the aluminium profile in 3 metre lengths which is hard to find as most of it is sold in 1 metre lengths

Types and prices of channel we have are shown in the attachment

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Channel Pricing.pdf
    528.2 KB · Views: 91

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
arw01 said:
Eddy is the plastic cover UV protected? Been thinking of the same idea on the house how that I had alum soffits installed.

Yes the cover is UV rated

damona

Full time elf
Is it water proof, or do the strips need to be water proof?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
damona said:
Is it water proof, or do the strips need to be water proof?

Its not designed to be completely water proof but depending where you install this would depend if you needed to use water proof strip or not.
For example if you put this under the gutters then i reakon you could get away with not having it waterproof but you will need to seal any joins between the lengths and the ends. But its better to use waterproof strip if being used outside.