Using E1.31 streams to control PC software

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Long VGA cables certainly do work, I use one for a Projector in my front yard now.
Light Show Pro handles all my video output for the video clips to a projector that are sequenced to music.

What I would use this for is the Plasma which I use as a "tune to" sign and information board. it's not at all controllable at the moment it's just a DVD loop.
In addition to that loop I would like to incorporate a Show countdown timer which could be easily controlled by this sort of setup if i changed the dvd out for an old computer.

It would also save me going out to turn off the TV after the show had finished as sometimes I'm not around for that.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm in the process of migrating from programming from Delphi 7 to Delphi XE. Once I install some suitable multimedia components into XE I'll be getting back to it.

Tabor

Full time elf
Hey David

I have started work on a similar project, that i have mentioned to a few members.

The plan is to use the cheap Raspberry Pi as the receiver. It about $35 and it looks like we can get them fairly easy now.
The program has to be written in either C or Python under Linux.

I am looking at controlling the GPIO ports and initiating playback of video from either the SD card or possibly stream over Ethernet.
As the raspberry pi uses a GPU instead of a real CPU, video playback is more than adequate.

I don't see why the same program could not be used on other cheaper miniature computers like the MC802 which is more powerful and has wifi for around $80.

Not to hijack but would be good to chat about it.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
My plan was to utilise existing (spare) PCs for video playback.

Your idea of using the Raspberry Pi sounds interesting too.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I did wrote my own software last year to retrofit my old LPT port controller so i could use it with LSP. Worked really well.

Been thinking this year about using E1.31 triggers for my Dot Matrix LED sign. I have reverse engineered the sign's RS232 protocol so I can control it programmatically - but the sign takes a painfull second or two to actually update. :(