Using Ray 27's for the first time

Porsche

Full time elf
I unpacked my Ray27's last night to test them all. I havent used these controllers before.
I hooked them up Via E1.31 and ran Da E1.31 test pattern to make sure they worked.
I had a Ray hooked up to my D4 port 1 on universe 6. When I ran Da E1.31 on universe 6 I couldnt test the lights. The Red light on the Ray board was on solid (not flashing), but when I changed the Da1.31 to another universe the red light on the Ray would flash and automatically run a test pattern. So Im assuming they have a test pattern built in to the Rays.
Is there anything specific I should have done when I first got these boards, like install drivers etc.
When the Red LED on the board is on solid or flashing what does that mean. Why couldnt I get Da1.31 to talk with the boards?
I even tried setting DIP switches to like channel 50 and then running Da1.31 to start at channel 50. but nothing.
What have I missed?
Cheers
Phil

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The boards are fairly simple to use but aren't really documented fully anywhere. There is a 10 way dipswitch which sets the dmx start address and also the test "function". Test mode will cycle through all the leds when the dipswitch is switched to the ON position. If that works the things are wired right to the outputs.
You have said that you are using da_e131 so I will presume that you are going through a D2, DR4, D4 or 1 of the DIY ethernet to DMX devices. You will need to configure the device to enable outputs etc.
If you are using a usb dongle in between the pc and 27ch board then it it da_dmx that you will need to use. operation is pretty much the same. Idle repeat should be enabled so that it sends out packets constantly rather than every time there is a change and the "open port" radio button needs to be pressed.
If you haven't got a dongle or e1.31 to dmx board in between then there is a problem.

Porsche

Full time elf
I am running through a D4.
The ray boards were running their own test patterns when I had dip switches all on.
When the LED is solid Red (not flashing) does that mean we are talking??

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
All switches on does the same as just having the test switch on. Turn them all off and just the "1" switch on to set the start address to 1. When the start address is valid, which it should be with just the "1" switch on, when the test switch is off and when dmx packets are being received the dmx/power led will blink away merrily.