Video projection first attempt.

angus40

Senior elf
it came down to 2 models
here is the skinny > http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_5020_vs_panasonic_ae8000.htm
you cannot go wrong with either of these models , plus you can use them all year round for great viewing capabilities .

In my opinion this is way better than any matrix one could create out of pixeles .
the resolution will be much better with projection and you are not limited to size .
with the projector i will have the flexibility to create as many matricies as I like and position them anywhere .
the only limit is imagination .
just my opinion .
I was going to create a pixel matrix until I calculated the cost vs actual useage.

cheers

angus40

Senior elf
I plan to use a media player and use the trigger> built in to the projector to play at required times.

angus40

Senior elf
Just a note > you could purchase 3 x 55' Samsung led tv's for the same cost as a good sized pixel matrix .
Hmmmm .

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I agree a matrix does not come anywhere near a projector my issue is I want to use it to project onto my roof - light grey tin roof 30 degree pitch with a display area size of about 15mt wide and 10 mt high and I can put the projector on the verandah roof about 2 mt away from it but just dont know where to start with the selection process

angus40

Senior elf
the screen does not factor for this kel . look at the Halloween projection as it is fairly current .
no pixelation :) and the projector is useable all year.

the fellow with the matrix is out of pocket over 3.5k and has a limited use prop with 3rd rate resolution .

just my opinion .

angus40

Senior elf
I don't believe the christmas in sarajevo is high resolution . it is older and i think he cheaped out on the quality of his projector .
that said , I bet he spent 3-400 $ tops on his projector and is still better resolution than the pixel matrix.

Just to note , the pixel matrix is ws 2811 . He could have improved the quality by using tls 3001"s :)

just sayin .

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What people need to realize is that depending on the effect and the design of the house will be a big factor in determining how many projectors are required. For a house with my shape i would conclude that i would need at least 3 projectors if i wanted to ensure i didnt have large amounts of shadowing and make it look realistic, otherwise its just a projection on a wall..

Comparing a pixel matrix and projection is like comparing chalk and cheese, 2 very different effects that are different. One creates light the other reflects light from a surface so the pixel based lighting will always be far brighter but as well it offers a different effect to that of projection. Projection on the other hand can vary greatly depending if its just a partial wall or a whole house display, but projection does not have multi single sources of light being generated and the effect of projection would be haevily determined by the surface being projected on, a house with red coloured brick most probably wont have a nice a looking effect as apposed to a cream coloured brick house.

After saying all that I love the idea of projection but at the same time i realize that one solution will definetly not suit all here, Angus may be able to get away with one projector on his house but for me i see it as 3 projectors (maybe 4) if i was to do a whole house projection on my house with no shadowing which would cost me a tidy sum.

I have looked very closely at the installations that have been shown in Australia with the Sydney vivid festival and all projection is done using multiple projectors at different angles to remove any shadowing as most people will not be standing directly behind the projector.

But its something i would like to try in the future as i have a cream coloured cement rendered house and this will work great for projection

angus40

Senior elf
Well stated Eddy , This was/is not a post to slam pixel matricies :) I just stated my reasoning as to the cost comparison.

I really wanted to build a pixel marix until I spoke with the fellow that did the easter videos .
the cost for that is not worth the result > imho < when compared to the halloween projection .
Also the fellow that did the halloween projection spent less than 1500$ and has a street light facing his property .
As you stated though they are 2 different effects , and i am showing the gain vs cost issue as i see it .
For any 1 considering a matrix that may not be able or aware of the cost , Projection can be some what of a cheaper alternative to create comparitive effects

its all good if light is created :) cheers.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
angus40 said:
Well stated Eddy , This was/is not a post to slam pixel matricies :) I just stated my reasoning as to the cost comparison.

I really wanted to build a pixel marix until I spoke with the fellow that did the easter videos .
the cost for that is not worth the result > imho < when compared to the halloween projection .
Also the fellow that did the halloween projection spent less than 1500$ and has a street light facing his property .
As you stated though they are 2 different effects , and i am showing the gain vs cost issue as i see it .
For any 1 considering a matrix that may not be able or aware of the cost , Projection can be some what of a cheaper alternative to create comparitive effects

its all good if light is created :) cheers.

I would agree 100%
Using a few Hi def TVs will also do the trick. I love matrices but ive always kept mine to a low resolution and cheap to build because in the end if your building a high resolution matrix then there is a multitude of considerations like power and being able to effectively drive it at the refresh rates you want just to name a few. Driving many thousands of pixels at a TV refresh rate is not an easy task on the processing power using a sequencer and thats why there are dedicated video processors that control pixels that are being used as big screens using high refresh rates.

Each person has a different approach and if i was looking for high resolution then i would seriously consider using projection for this as i would believe this would be far easir to manage and be cheaper to do.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Imagine the free storage area if doing this as the only decoration, oh wow!!!

"Im just gonna pop the projector/s out honey, be back in a minute!!!" lol. K I know its not that simple but ya now....I currently have 2 hot-air gun burns and 3 soldering burns ;)