3.x [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Re: [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

Fasteddy said:
Im sure you have done a great job on the filters and sound like you have, I just thought i would share some previous experiences with this technology and how we saw the public use it.
For us it was a large public installation that we could not risk having any vulgarities get through and the best way to ensure that was to have it monitored by a human.

No worries Eddy I appriciate the feedback.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Re: [Vix3] Vixen Messaging Application - Email/SMS a message to your Matrix/Megatree

Having ran an interactive matrix display for two seasons now, I can confirm that people WILL get creative with it. I worked on a whitelist only system - so if the name entered wasn't a 1:1 database match then it would not display.

Logging all user activity is key - as you are probably aware :) Then you can really see *how* people are using the system.
eg: I often saw stuff like this:
#1 = Firstname = OK & Displayed
#2 = Lastname = Rejected / not displayed
#3 = twonamestogether = rejected / notdisplayed (despite my portal saying "First Names only")!
#4 = penis = instant ban

My database of 130K names also includes nasty words for a blacklist - which I regularly amended based on what was requested (and failed). Obvious bad words on the blacklist were then set to auto-ban the user! But the blacklist also formed part of my moderation/admin system, so if a previously rejected was re-requested then it'd automatically ignore the requests.

I also had problems with some dodgy names being whitelisted since I scrapped bulk lists of names in to my database and thus managed to pickup names like Gayelord in the process too LOL

And despite the database size, I still got a handful of really legit name requests too!

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Driver said:
Having ran an interactive matrix display for two seasons now, I can confirm that people WILL get creative with it. I worked on a whitelist only system - so if the name entered wasn't a 1:1 database match then it would not display.

Logging all user activity is key - as you are probably aware :) Then you can really see *how* people are using the system.
eg: I often saw stuff like this:
#1 = Firstname = OK & Displayed
#2 = Lastname = Rejected / not displayed
#3 = twonamestogether = rejected / notdisplayed (despite my portal saying "First Names only")!
#4 = penis = instant ban

My database of 130K names also includes nasty words for a blacklist - which I regularly amended based on what was requested (and failed). Obvious bad words on the blacklist were then set to auto-ban the user! But the blacklist also formed part of my moderation/admin system, so if a previously rejected was re-requested then it'd automatically ignore the requests.

I also had problems with some dodgy names being whitelisted since I scrapped bulk lists of names in to my database and thus managed to pickup names like Gayelord in the process too LOL

And despite the database size, I still got a handful of really legit name requests too!

Thanks for your input Driver,

All the names listed have been checked so it wasn't just a bulk transfer so as far as whitelist goes I'm happy there will be no bad words. Users can send multiple words, phrase and each word will be check and all words have to be included in the white list to be approved.

All,

Added new feature that allows you to select the number of lines you want the text to be split across. Vixen 3 allows up to 4 lines of text so I have added this function to Vixen Messaging and it will automatically split the incoming/local messages evenly across the selected number of lines. Your Matrix will need to be capable of displaying the select number of lines in height. Download from original post.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

I have updated the app again with a Seperate countdown option section, this includes 4 lines of text and you can enter the word Countdown in any of them to display the number of days. You can still add the Countdown to the local messages.

Also you don't have to use count down and you can just use the 4 lines as a Seperate message feature and it has its own direction and text position settings. When enabled it is included in the sequential/random selection with the local messages.

grahami2006

Full time elf

Hi Geoff,
There appears to be a problem with the video about setting up Twilio

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

grahami2006 said:
Hi Geoff,
There appears to be a problem with the video about setting up Twilio

Sorry about that and thanks for pointing it out as I'm not sure what happened, it's fixed now.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Added ability to add unlimited Custom messages that can use the entire 4 lines of text and each Custom message can have its own Font, Text Position, Text Direction and sequence time. Can add COUNTDOWN to any message to display number of days until the selected date.

See original post for links.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

New updates to Vixen Messaging 3.1.17, see first post:

- Added ability to create multiple Group Node ID's (multiple Matrix's and Grids)
- Can Assign a different Matrix to each custom message (great if you have a megatree and multiple Matrix's, see new video in original post.
- Added ability to create multiple effects for each Effect type. Multiple SnowFlake effects with each one with it's own settings.
- Added ability to change the colour for each line of text. This has previously been a restriction in Vixen 3 however from Vixen 3 Dev Build #76 and higher each line of text can have a separate colour (keep in mind using a Dev release has it's risks and you should backup all your data or wait until the next official release). For earlier releases of Vixen 3 then Vixen Messaging will only use the first colour on the Custom message tab and will be used for all lines of text.
- Added quick play buttons to each of the Effects and custom messages. Allows for immediate display of message and/or Effect that can be used for testing.
- Added new video for Custom effects and Custom messages.

Enjoy.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

Version 3.1.18 - Vixen 3 Dev Build #83 introduced a new Web interface for increase capability. This changed the Vixen API and therefore required me to make changes to the Messaging app. These changes have been made and I have ensured the Messaging app is also backwards compatible with the previous Vixen 3 Web Interface. Please download the latest from the links in the original post.

elnino

Full time elf

What about support for a serial based modem/SMS sender?

Or just a basic serial output to interface an Arduino with GSM module?

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

elnino said:

I'm really not sure what you are asking for as my app doesn't really output any type for format for controllers to use. It creates a Vixen 3 Sequence .tim file that is then played through the Vixen 3 Web interface. Each time an SMS/Email comes in or a local message is used it will mix with whatever effects you created and will create this Vixen 3 Sequence file.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

gnarmstr said:
elnino said:

I'm really not sure what you are asking for as my app doesn't really output any type for format for controllers to use. It creates a Vixen 3 Sequence .tim file that is then played through the Vixen 3 Web interface. Each time an SMS/Email comes in or a local message is used it will mix with whatever effects you created and will create this Vixen 3 Sequence file.

I could be wrong but i think he's meaning to use a old mobile phone to do the sms side of things..
saves using the internet and an sms provider

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

smartalec said:
gnarmstr said:
elnino said:

I could be wrong but i think he's meaning to use a old mobile phone to do the sms side of things..

Interesting if that's the case, however the short answer would be no as using the internet is the easiest way of doing it.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

gnarmstr said:
smartalec said:
gnarmstr said:
elnino said:

Interesting if that's the case, however the short answer would be no as using the internet is the easiest way of doing it.

alot of us dont have our show computers on the same network as the internet,
I thought the same thing.. a old nokia 3310 phone hooked up, would make things realy easy an portable
an alot less hassle if the internet die's during show time.
i know it would be hard to code, but im sure with the many skills here at ACL, it could be done easy.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf

smartalec said:
gnarmstr said:
smartalec said:
gnarmstr said:
elnino said:

alot of us dont have our show computers on the same network as the internet,
I thought the same thing.. a old nokia 3310 phone hooked up, would make things realy easy an portable
an alot less hassle if the internet die's during show time.
i know it would be hard to code, but im sure with the many skills here at ACL, it could be done easy.

I didn't even think about users that don't have the computer connected to the Internet. I'm not sure where I would start for this and if there is a demand for it as I don't really want to spend a lot of time if it's not going to be used.

It would be interesting to know if anyone is actually planning on using my app over Xmas. If you are going to use the app please let me know so I can get an idea of numbers.

Cheers