Release Vixen 3.5 Update 3 Available now

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
UPDATE 3 should be release within the next week. Below are a list of expected changes since Update 2. Ones in Orange have been added in the last day.

Highlights are the new Dissolve effect (very versatile effect, I managed to remove 4000 individual effects from a sequence in one area alone using the Dissolve with Mark Collection), especially good when used with layering, Custom toolbar allows the user to hide and show tool bar buttons.

There are a number of bugs that have been fixed, most users may not even notice they were there, however the Vixen team still recommends updating and is extremely safe to do so. As usual ensure you backup all your profiles before updating.

See the Official Vixen YouTube channel here.

New Features:
VIX-2602 Add Vixen YouTube channel link to help menus.
VIX-2566 Create a Dissolve effect Click here for demo video
VIX-2452 Parametric intensity curves
VIX-2231 Option to add and remove main toolbar buttons (User Custom toolbar) , allows the users to hide unused buttons.
VIX-2225 Save Sequence (Was included in VIX-2231)

Improvements:
VIX-2608 Add Dissolve in both directions together in the Dissolve effect.
VIX-2605 Dissolve effect - Add option to enable Depth of effect.
VIX-2598 Add basic function to provide a Wiring diagram. Will create an svg file to be viewed in browser.
VIX-2592 Dissolve effect - Add some more Mark Collection options and significantly improve render times.
VIX-2584 Ignore punctuation in the new Lipsync labels when converting to Phonemes.
VIX-2556 Add logic to utilize the face info in xModels to better map faces to groups.
VIX-2549 Add ability to reverse the order of a group of selected items in the patching order helper.
VIX-2274 Add Start/stop controllers to context menu

Bugs:
VIX-2607 Effects that use the standard Random generation do not render correctly or at all when there is a high number of random numbers required across each effect.
VIX-2606 The token replacement dialog for custom props does not become the active window.
VIX-2603 Preview Net smart object does not display on initial load without opening preview setup in OpenGL preview.
VIX-2600 Preview setup properties pane incorrectly displays with Pixel Grid Properties title.
VIX-2597 Custom Prop Editor rename functions is not correctly checking for duplicates.
VIX-2594 Vixen Crash when close the preview at Windows Task
VIX-2591 Profile crashes upon opening
VIX-2583 Countdown effect set to 60 minutes starts at 0:00 instead of 60:00
VIX-2579 Typing a uri into the export output folder in the export wizard can cause a crash.
VIX-2578 Scaling issue with the Beats and Bars form in the Sequence editor
VIX-2577 Scaling issue with the Icons within the Preview setup
VIX-2576 Scaling issues with the Vixen Release notes and Check Updates form
VIX-2575 Scaling issue with the Scheduler Show setup
VIX-2574 Scaling issue with the Effect Icons in the sequence editor
VIX-2572 Scaling issue with the Element Link Form in Preview Setup.
VIX-2570 Font scaling in any effect that uses Font is incorrect.
VIX-2567 Effect Toolbar lables are massive on my new laptop.
VIX-2564 The display setup does not calculate element / patching info correctly on duplicate elements in the same group.
VIX-2562 VIX-2452 created a invalid dependency on the E131 module.
VIX-2558 Export wizard bugs
VIX-2557 The export wizard does not select the proper output folder for Falcon Sequences
VIX-2554 Copy/Paste of Text Effect doesn't preserve Orientation
VIX-2553 Lipsync causing Vixen to crash
VIX-2552 Profile editor allows paths with trailing spaces
VIX-2547 Remove some verbose debug logging from the release versions.
VIX-2546 The output evaluators can throw an error in some rare circumstances when poor timing leaves them with null values.
VIX-2545 Creating element face mapping initially in the editor does not save correctly.
VIX-2544 On one of my computers the new Effects Toolbar ends up on the same row as the Main toolbar.
VIX-2538 Hard Crash when using word breakdown
VIX-2536 Mark collection export crashes Vixen

Last edited:

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
It's looking like Update 3 will be released tomorrow (19 Oct), there was a few last minute additions (see first post tickets coloured orange).

scamper

Dedicated elf
It's the 20th... Just saying :thumbsup:
You are making me procrastinate, I was going to do some sequencing last night, but already had the dissolve effect sequenced in my head, so I just searched for new songs and didn't do anything.
You all do an amazing job and I am only kidding. I just feel like a kid on Christmas eve. :D

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Sorry about that. We found a major bug that’s actually been around forever however now that users are starting to use more and more pixel grids it has come to the surface.

Has to do with how the random numbers are generated in most of the effects and the more it was required to do the less random it was.

As of this morning I pushed a fix and it has been merged, so the lastest release build has it.

Hopefully Jeff will do the Update 3 release tomorrow. However if you use builds then the Update 3 will be the same as the latest build.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have also added some more options to the dissolve effect and I have been sequencing with that effect for a few days now. I find the dissolve effect to be extremely versatile and am using it a lot to produce some great results, especially now I can replace hundred of existing effects with one of these.

I may do a part 2 video on it.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks, again no pressure,
I was going to use the build, but wasn't sure it would have all the new stuff, but I will download it now and start playing. Can I just update from a build when it gets released?

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Look forward to it! Stability on 3.5 U2 has been very good.

I don't suppose you could add rotation and scale/zoom curves to the picture effect? I have been experimenting with using the picture effect; set to location aware & no moment & then adjusting the X/Y position based on a curve that's aligned to the beat of music.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks, again no pressure,
I was going to use the build, but wasn't sure it would have all the new stuff, but I will download it now and start playing. Can I just update from a build when it gets released?

The lead developer is going to kill me but I have asked for another update to the Dissolve to add another option for it to Dissolve or Fill in both direction alternating or the same time. If he approves it will be merged tomorrow.

You can have a build and a Release installed at the same time just two different program folders.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Look forward to it! Stability on 3.5 U2 has been very good.

I don't suppose you could add rotation and scale/zoom curves to the picture effect? I have been experimenting with using the picture effect; set to location aware & no moment & then adjusting the X/Y position based on a curve that's aligned to the beat of music.

Hey Brad, Anything is possible. Any requests you are after just add a ticket at https://bugs.vixenlights.com

Even if it gets approved by the Lead developer then this one wouldn't make the release or get merged until Jan.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
It's the 20th... Just saying :thumbsup:
You are making me procrastinate, I was going to do some sequencing last night, but already had the dissolve effect sequenced in my head, so I just searched for new songs and didn't do anything.
You all do an amazing job and I am only kidding. I just feel like a kid on Christmas eve. :D

The major bug fix and extra Dissolve features have been merged and an RC Build has been created for testing. If there are no issues then Jeff will release Update 3 late tonight (probably after your in bed dreaming of Christmas lights and Vixen).

Have a very Merry and Happy Sequencing to all.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks, I downloaded the dev build and had a play with that. no probs.
Just this morning I downloaded the new release and installed it.
WARNING.....
It deleted all of my profile. everything except the program is gone.
I do have a backup, but make sure you have a backup before installing.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
The acted of installing Vixen will not delete any profiles. It is possible to lose the link in the settings but Vixen does not have any code in it that will delete the actual profile.

If it’s lost the link then just add a new profile to the same location the lost profile is stored in.

So when you go to My documents (standard default place) Is there no longer the Vixen 3 folder and if it is there, is there nothing in it.

I am keen to get more information on this please.

scamper

Dedicated elf
There is nothing in it and when I go to the folder that the profile was in it says ***** is unavailable, it may have been moved or deleted....
I did a search and it is not finding it.
I did notice that when it was installing it took way longer than normal and when I looked at where I thought it was hanging, it said deleting xxx

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you haven't already then please do not install Vixen 3.5U3 as there is a couple of issues that Effect the Wipe and PinWheel effects. These have been fixed in a Dev build and we highly recommend you install the latest Dev Build until 3.5 Update 4 is released.

If you have installed Vixen 3.5U3 then you may notice that the Pinwheel and Wipe effects may look incorrect in the preview depending on Effect settings. Not a big issue however you can either wait for Update 4 or install the latest Dev build. The issues will not effects you sequencing and once you do upgrade the effect will be displayed correctly.