what are these connectors called?

justinj

Apprentice elf
These aren't for lights but I think they might be similar if not the same as the ones on ribbons.

Attachments

• IMAG0262.jpg
    IMAG0262.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 33

justinj

Apprentice elf
sfleck said:
i love learning something new every day!
i did some research ... found these ...

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=521

they have some neat solutions if you look under references here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JST_connector

That's not them. I have those JST connectors for a couple of my smaller RC models but they're different size and shape and they don't have the little clampover bits.

Edit: Having looked at all the references at the bottom of the Wiki page it looks like they might be JST-SM connectors (As opposed to JST-RCY which are the ones sfleck linked and I have on my RC models). Does anyone have any of these to crimp wires to? Unless I buy 10+ they only come with wires already attached and as it's not for lighting that I need them I only need 1.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I think what they are called is "rubbish" and unsuitable for actually using in your display. I'm reasonably certain that most people who have had these on their strips chop them off and replace them with waterproof connectors like the "Ray Wu" connectors.

justinj

Apprentice elf
AAH said:
I think what they are called is "rubbish" and unsuitable for actually using in your display. I'm reasonably certain that most people who have had these on their strips chop them off and replace them with waterproof connectors like the "Ray Wu" connectors.
Agree on using the waterproof ones instead for lighting, these are actually for a stepper motor cable that my CNC was missing so I need to make one up, hence the need for only 1.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Depending on whether they are 0.1" or 0.156" inch spacing you could probably find a connector that would match from Element 14 or Radio Spares. Even Jaycar or Altronics mit have a header connector you could adapt.