What sequencer do you use?

What sequencer(s) do you use for your display?

• Light Show Pro

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • Light-O-Rama

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • Vixen (any iteration)

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • HLS

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Xlights / Nutcracker

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Madrix

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Light Factory

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (please leave description in comments)

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Prefer not to answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DanJ

Full time elf
My votes are as follows: used LOR & xlights/nutcracker so far and migrating to HLS & xlights/nutcracker for 2014 Christmas!!

mborg10

Michael Borg
Kane said:
AndrewA said:
Not looking forward to second year

This is the problem - most of us love the tinkering with lights, but dislike the sequencing side of things.

I don't mind the sequencing, I just don't like how long it takes. Sometimes I wish I could just be a conductor in front of an orchestra, wave a wand and everything works how I want. (And I know it's not a wand)

kane

Dedicated elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Damicka10) said:
I don't mind the sequencing, I just don't like how long it takes. Sometimes I wish I could just be a conductor in front of an orchestra, wave a wand and everything works how I want. (And I know it's not a wand)

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting on the other "fed up with software" thread. Would be great to be able to play the song, tapping the keyboard to apply certain effects to a display element (or group of elements), and when it gets to the end, it completes the grunt work. Then repeat for other elements, and then fine tune... That's my ideal way of sequencing I think!

smeighan

Dedicated elf
i had asked two poll questions on diyc
1) what sequencer did you use
2) What player did you use.

here was the second poll
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?27791-What-platform-do-you-play-your-show

the first started an animated thread. i removed the thread from diyc for the 1st question.

since i post on 11 forums, i get a feeling there are different audiences.
diyc seems vixen,hls,lor,lsp in that order
acl lsp,lor,vixen
dla vixen,lsp,lor

i also think if you have a large vixen community you need to have these prompts since they are very different sequencers.
vixen 2.x
vixen+, macebobo's superchargef vixen 2.x release
vixen3, complete rewrite of vixen

i think there are people who only use xlights to convert their data into pi player format and those that use xlights/nutcracker to add rgb effects to their existing sequences.

the pi player is what impresses me. only released in july 2013 as a beta, it was used by many people as their 2013 show computer. They are adding in the ability to use the audio from an mp4 file to play a sequence. the video will come out of the hdmi or composite video ports of the pi.

as you may know i have had nothing to do with the pi player, i just use it. master /slave pi's, realtime input (make a countdown time clock that renders text in realtime over next 300 days), sensors. that team is really expanding the show player.

i think the biggest defect people skip over is how much time it takes to become proficient in any sequencer. you want to imagine an effect and then not struggle to get that vision out. i think you can do just about anything with lsp or now vixen3. lor is rock solid. pick the one that enables you to get your show working.

i love madrix effects. their performance is great. cost not so great. LOR and others starts to have problems as you add channels. we have users now in the 30-50K channel range. what hapens in 2014? > 100k channels?

i think all of the sequencers want you to be successful. it is nice to have choices.

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
I don't hate LOR, I still use it to assign my controllers by number.... It has good use, well the controllers, that is....

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Sean, as mentioned in the first post, this is really just to determine how many of the active users use which particular sequencer.

I am interested to see, how many of the major software users, also resort to the free tools to generate the effects.
If anything, this could actually assist the developers by seeing that a fairly high percentage also use XLights/NC for their sequencing.

Definately not a place for people to start 'Mine is bigger/better then yours" type comments. If that should happen, thats when I will ask the mods to close it.

Also, I am only asking for sequencer use.. Not schedulers as that can be covered at a later stage.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
ok question 45 people have voted but there is 64 votes? ??? ??

Yes, you are able to vote for multiple ones that you use. (upto 3) so for those people that use Xlights/Nutcracker with Light-o-Rama, you can check both boxes

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
46 voted out of the many thousands of members :(

LOR rocks in case you hadn't heard ;)

xlights/nutcracker is amazing in what it can do on so little resources and the PI will probably become the future player of choice for a fair portion of people.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
Sorry, bit slow on this side as I am still try to catch up on the Honey Do list after Christmas.

I don't know if I am ever gona catch up :D :D :D :D