What's wanted

MrX

New elf
nice looking setup... was thinking of doing similar with a pi

Roosta

Full time elf
@Roosta created something similar to this several years ago and it was a beast. I hope he has photos of it he could share. I converted him from his beast to using 1 of my 2811DC15's which can drive relays or solenoids with just the need to add a protection diode per relay or solenoid.

Hahaha a beast indeed, and rather agricultural.. Thanks again for opening my eyes hahaha..

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hahaha a beast indeed, and rather agricultural.. Thanks again for opening my eyes hahaha..

What most people probably won't realise Nik is that those boards are driven by pulling off leds off the strip/module and connecting to the optocouplers of the relay modules.Cunning idea. Bit beastly in its implementation.

Barnabybear

New elf
Hi, I've just done a little board that does WS2811 pixel to AC mains via an opto coupler and triac. It’s only single channel and has no dimming but works fine for my application – switching 240V 10W driverless LED modules that I’m using as high power strobes. The files are below if anyone is interested.
Strobe_WS2811_5_E.JPG

Attachments

• Strobe_WS2811.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

MrX

New elf
Seems like a few options for relays... 240v controller looks interesting, need to think where I could put that.

I was thinking it would be useful to have a channel skipper device. 1 data in and 2 data outs. Data out 1 is basically a regenerated copy of data in (null buffer style). Data 2 out is the same but with first x channels chopped off. The value of x controlled by row of jumpers or DIP switch block which is set to reflect a binary number. It would mean each element only needs data input, so no need for output to continue a string. Could include screw terminal to support power to injection with jumper to isolate

octagondd

New elf
New here, relatively, so take with a grain of salt. I also seem to remember a lot of people on this board use wired controllers, so this idea maybe for naught. What about a Wifi-ESP based Solar/battery powered unit for a prop that might be in the far corner of your lot? Maybe not enough use cases for the idea, but I figured the Australia group would be the best place to start since more sun at Xmas. Southern latitude Americans might be interested as well.

Figuring out battery size and power consumption for the prop as well as overhead for cloudy days might be tricky for the end user, but solar path lights seem to work just fine, so it would seem to me a less than 100 pixel prop blinking every so often for a couple hours a night might not need too big of a battery.

Reactions: AAH

bpratt

Senior elf
interesting idea octagondd .... would be interesting to see what someone could come up with.

I dare say you might be looking at a 50 A/hr battery and solar charge controller with pv panel of an appropriate size

Obviously a wifi connection to give it a flashy feed to it, or are you suggesting something that is completely stand alone ?

Roosta

Full time elf
I am using 8x or danv’s wifi pixel modules, initially off usb power banks with 2000ma battery, 18 nodes lasted about 2-3 hours..

Went to a 12v 7amp battery and a small 4.5w solar panel and yeah power works great..

Had issues with lag on the wifi last year so didnt end up using them but keen to get them working this year..

octagondd

New elf
interesting idea octagondd .... would be interesting to see what someone could come up with.

I dare say you might be looking at a 50 A/hr battery and solar charge controller with pv panel of an appropriate size

Obviously a wifi connection to give it a flashy feed to it, or are you suggesting something that is completely stand alone ?

Completely stand alone for a true wireless individual prop, or a fence outline, or something that is further from your controllers and you don't want to run power and ethernet lines.

octagondd

New elf
Completely stand alone for a true wireless individual prop, or a fence outline, or something that is further from your controllers and you don't want to run power and ethernet lines.

By completely standalone, I mean ESpixel stick or similar and solar panel with solar charge controller and battery. Yes, the ESP would need wifi data sent to it.

octagondd

New elf
By completely standalone, I mean ESpixel stick or similar and solar panel with solar charge controller and battery. Yes, the ESP would need wifi data sent to it.

Another option would be to combine a solar panel, charge controller and battery with a differential receiver and just run ethernet to it from an F48.