What's wanted

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
David_AVD and I were having a chat earlier about what else we could build to supply the blinky community. We both make and sell a fair range of stuff and neither of use came up with anything to set the blinky world on fire so I'm throwing it out to the community to offer suggestions on what could be built or what is needed.

Roosta

Full time elf
A network connecting audio transmitter including app so i can broadcast the audio from my show to peoples phones via a restricted open wifi network and they could listen in that way.
Add on to that would be being able to send a vitrual matrix to the app that i could send sequence to..
And plenty of other expansions to this to bring a new level of interactivity to the show..

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hmmm and you guys know what im going to wish for !
A purposely built pixel tester not the 2 dollar job a real tool !

AAH

A network connecting audio transmitter including app so i can broadcast the audio from my show to peoples phones via a restricted open wifi network and they could listen in that way.
Add on to that would be being able to send a vitrual matrix to the app that i could send sequence to..
And plenty of other expansions to this to bring a new level of interactivity to the show..
There's been talk of broadcasting onto wifi a few times on Falcon Christmas. I would also like a way for people to get the music on peoples phones but the FM transmitter is as good as it gets currently. The delay of getting through a network to stream the audio will get sound and video out of sync badly is what I've read.

That's software to do that sort of stuff and David and I were looking for hardware based stuff to build. We're both gluttons for punishment.

Kitman

Full time elf
There's been talk of broadcasting onto wifi a few times on Falcon Christmas. I would also like a way for people to get the music on peoples phones but the FM transmitter is as good as it gets currently. The delay of getting through a network to stream the audio will get sound and video out of sync badly is what I've read.

That's correct the delay in sending audio over anything other than FM is not constant, which means you might get it working perfectly for you and your phone so the lights are in sync, however you get another phone that is newer and it can process the stream quicker and it's not OK for them, and the same goes for a phone that is a bit slow, it's the same as broadcasting on FM or DAB, the radio in my car can do FM and DAB and I can switch from FM to DAB if a miss part of a news story and catch the last few words again, so I doubt this is a viable option.

Roosta

Full time elf
Ok then thinking outside the box, Why could it not be a 'small' low quality download to the users phone app, that the device then triggers to play locally on the phone, like a pi master and slave, thus eliminating the delay?

Alan, I totally get that its more software than hardware.. :)

Homer2014

Apprentice elf
How about the DMX 36 / DMX 2-18 style boards have a programable voltage output level per port to avoid the need to add resistors or diodes to the light sets. I know that can be done via Xlights brightness level to reduce the voltage per port when running a sequence but if you run a test you'll get 100% voltage through the lights. Could it be done ?

AAH

How about the DMX 36 / DMX 2-18 style boards have a programable voltage output level per port to avoid the need to add resistors or diodes to the light sets. I know that can be done via Xlights brightness level to reduce the voltage per port when running a sequence but if you run a test you'll get 100% voltage through the lights. Could it be done ?

I did that on my Mega60 and I plan on doing with it's replacement which is still in the planning stage after a couple of years. The Mega60 was too expensive to make due to the choice of components.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
We also have to keep in mind that the peak voltage supplied to the LED strings would still be whatever the supply voltage is.

This may not be a desirable situation depending on the lights involved.

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Possibly not a viable thing but how about a DMX board that operates a single model utilising the existing plug pack inline (plug pack > DMX board >model) and wifi?

Does that make sense?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Possibly not a viable thing but how about a DMX board that operates a single model utilising the existing plug pack inline (plug pack > DMX board >model) and wifi?

Do you mean a mini controller for a single motif or similar ? It's possible, but probably not cost effective. Can you give more info?

Ellis

Naughty Elf
yeah that's what I meant David but cost would not be viable I am guessing.

A single motif or string controller running off the existing power plug pack with the controller inline. Utilising Wifi would mean you just rely on 240v connection and could place them almost anywhere pending distance.

Would allow for placement anywhere on the property within wifi signal, with a booster that could be 50 or more metres.

This would also allow a spread of models/motifs/strings on larger properties.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Whilst I can see uses for the idea, I don't think anyone will want to pay $50 (for example, no idea of actual cost) for a wi-fi controller with a 3 or 4 DC outputs.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I do have a wi-fi enabled pixel controller (runs the ESPixelStick firmware) that i'm testing and have been wondering what related items could be worthwhile / handy.