Wire frames: rope lights off - pixels on

Kotche

Apprentice elf
I’ve in mind to do similar with the rope light motifs I have, too.

Good work :)

videoman3857

Full time elf
2019 job 1.1: Remove old rope lights from reindeer and sleigh wire frames and apply pixels.

Pixels were cable tied to the wire frames and a dob of silicone added to each. 5V WS2811 bullets running on pixel testers, 5v supply via a buck converter.
I have rope lights on a lot of mine too - I don't like them. Too unreliable and impossible to repair.
I am replacing mine with just 12volt Bullet LEDS - no fancy pixels for me. I do like the idea of using the tester !
I'd be careful using a buck converter. IF it fails, kiss those nodes goodbye. I prefer to have the correct voltage PSU.

diyer

Full time elf
I have rope lights on a lot of mine too - I don't like them. Too unreliable and impossible to repair.
I am replacing mine with just 12volt Bullet LEDS - no fancy pixels for me. I do like the idea of using the tester !
I'd be careful using a buck converter. IF it fails, kiss those nodes goodbye. I prefer to have the correct voltage PSU.

I have been using buck converters for several years and haven't had too many issues, I had one stop working due to moisture last year but touch wood, haven't had any switch transistors fail/short out. I always drive them at under 50% of their capacity, hopefully this gives them some longevity.
I would be interested in hearing other users experiences?

diyer

Full time elf
There have been a lot of visits to this thread, I hope that it has inspired other members to have a go.