Would like help on best place to order meanwell power supplies for australia.

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
Sorry, I got caught with an assumption. I'm much more familiar with the Meanwell HLG series of LED drivers as constant current sources.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
It's a tad ironic that the use of Meanwell power supplies for their high efficiencies comes up in the same thread as using 12V nodes.
If you actually look at the data sheets you'll see that Meanwell RSP, HRP, LRS series power supplies are typically 75-90% efficient with mid 80's being quite common.
12V WS2811 nodes are by definition only 40% efficient when compared to 5V nodes, 12V nodes use the exact same current to produce the same amount of light as 5V nodes with the balance of the power usage going into heat within the pixel. The fact that you are using 2.4 times the power per pixel means that you also need 2.4 times the power supplies for the same number of pixels.
12V nodes 12V x 0.055A = 0.66W/pixel
5V nodes 5V x 0.055A=0.275W/pixel
12V 400W (33A) power supply = 600 pixels at 100% white
5V 400W (80A) power supply = 1450 pixels at 100% white

<end rant>
Time for a Fosters Alan! Slow your roll.. I do have some 12v nodes that are less than 30ma white 100%. I can power 1,200 of them @30% and an RSP320-12 isnt breaking a sweat. Lets focus on the question from the OP. Mo volts is mo betta but that isn't the subject here. That being said 100% Meanwell here, been there done that with cheap Chinese psu's... No Meanwell failures here with 40+ of them

bpratt

Senior elf
I think the OP needs to work out which voltage he wants to use across his display, be that 5v or 12v first.

Splitting a display across 5v and 12v can cause it's own issues, and I don't just mean plugging 5v pixels in to 12v supply either ! :)

Meanwell's are great psu's.

That said, if the OP wants to run a 12v display, there are other options such as the HP 750w and 1200w server power supplies with an appropriate edge connector, which could be a better option for controller box 'real estate'.

At the moment, he wants Meanwell power supplies, available to us in Australia from arrow.com and mouser.com , both with fairly quick delivery.

Azzfish

New elf
Was pl
It's a tad ironic that the use of Meanwell power supplies for their high efficiencies comes up in the same thread as using 12V nodes.
If you actually look at the data sheets you'll see that Meanwell RSP, HRP, LRS series power supplies are typically 75-90% efficient with mid 80's being quite common.
12V WS2811 nodes are by definition only 40% efficient when compared to 5V nodes, 12V nodes use the exact same current to produce the same amount of light as 5V nodes with the balance of the power usage going into heat within the pixel. The fact that you are using 2.4 times the power per pixel means that you also need 2.4 times the power supplies for the same number of pixels.
12V nodes 12V x 0.055A = 0.66W/pixel
5V nodes 5V x 0.055A=0.275W/pixel
12V 400W (33A) power supply = 600 pixels at 100% white
5V 400W (80A) power supply = 1450 pixels at 100% white

<end rant>
Im planning on 5v for all props and 12v only for roof outline.
Just unsure were to order power supplies from

Reactions: AAH

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
Another option, if ordering pixels from China, is to include the power supplies in your order. I got my HLGs at about 40% off of the Canadian price at DigiKey.

bpratt

Senior elf
Yes, I understand the 5 volt pixels into 12 volts. Would you explain the other issues a bit more please?
primarily the confusion created by having different voltage pixels, and the pixels that don't work when powered on, i.e. 12v pixels on 5v power.... I would imagine they wouldn't even light up at that low voltage ?

however if the OP decides this is how they want to proceed, then all I can suggest is to use different connectors/pigtails to ensure there won't be any 'oops' moments. :)

TerryK

Retired Elf
Not debating, simply wondering if you saw something I have not. Regulated WS2811 pixels will illuminate on 5 Volt, not well but will show something. I am not sure about the 12 Volt WS2811 Resistor types.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I tried some 12V 2811 pixels on 5V first as I didn't know what voltage they were. They worked surprisingly well, but were a lot brighter on 12V. It certainly was not a case of just one colour working or such.

Adsy

Full time elf
Nothing wrong with mixing voltages for different applications. I used smart receivers to break up voltages as i have props set up as clusters.
I guess different connectors is best practice to eliminate blowouts, or you could order different coloured wiring as a visual reminder. I would also
strongly recommend HP 1200W power supplies. 100A goes a long way.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
I wrap different coloured insulation tape on the pig tails to indicate the different voltage pixel strings/strips

Azzfish

New elf
Nothing wrong with mixing voltages for different applications. I used smart receivers to break up voltages as i have props set up as clusters.
I guess different connectors is best practice to eliminate blowouts, or you could order different coloured wiring as a visual reminder. I would also
strongly recommend HP 1200W power supplies. 100A goes a long way.
Was planning on using 5v for my mega tree as this reduced the amount of power supplies required.
Yes this means power injection will be required ever 50 pixels but this is still more cost effective than using 12v.
I was planning on using falcon 48 with smart recivers to brake up voltages.
If I I knew more about hp 1200w this would eliminate the need for so many 12v power supplies to run mega tree.
In this case I could keep everything 12v.

Old Salt

Apprentice elf
It's not bad up to 100 nodes per string. Just inject power at the top and bottom of the tree.