WS2811 strobe pixels from Ray Wu store

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I know all about them as they are strobes based on some prototypes that David_AVD and I were working on. The original design was for 2801 which worked fine for Davids controller. Due to the reduced cost of 2811 Ray changed the design to 2811 which David hasn't been able to get working in his code (as yet). The strobes will still work via something like a J1Sys P2, P12 or similar but the strobing function would have to be done in the sequencer or via a firmware update to the pixel controller if J1Sys or Sandevices decide to add a strobe function. You can order 300mm spacing for the strobes if you don't want 100mm. I have some 300mm on the way and when I get them I will have a play driving from my P2 and may put my programming hat on and see if I can get Davids board to talk the 2811 protocol.
The original development thread for these strobes and the strobe controller David made is at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3643.0.html

kane

Dedicated elf
To make sure I fully understand the reasoning behind requiring custom firmware, I'll attempt to explain, and Alan or David can correct me if I'm wrong!

Due to the refresh rate of the data signal from your software to your controller (usually every 50ms), it doesn't seem likely that you'd get a nice enough strobe effect on a string of strobes.. Also, if you wanted a random strobe pattern (like twinkling across the string), you'd have to do this in your software

This is why a dedicated strobe controller was discussed - which would simply take DMX data on a few channels, and light up the string accordingly. For example, it may use the first channel to designate "fill" (ie, percentage of the pixels that would light up at any one time), another channel for "intensity" (how quick), and another channel to actually turn the strobes on.

As Alan mentioned, David (AVD) put together a prototype strobe controller, but it only worked for 2801, and it may be too difficult a task to modify to work with 2811. Therefore, David suggested that a custom firmware for a j1sys uDCG-P2 might be a better fit...

I've also got a couple strings of these strobes on order with Ray (also with 300mm spacing), so waiting for him to get them built and send them. (I've also got a uDCG-P2 from Ed@j1sys - if he gets a chance to build a custom firmware, I'll be testing it out.

indyeast83

New elf
thank you for the information.I might just hold off on these for this year and hope that the custom firmware or controller is made available for them.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I was thinking a post in the vendor section would be a more logical place to post.

magii

Apprentice elf
I have some of these from Ray, they work on the Green channel of the RGB for a 2811 standard pixel. I talked with Ed an J1 Sys and he said he is busy adding a "strobe" integration to his controller lineup to support this function.

Z

Benslights

Dedicated elf
looking forward to Eds update that is for sure as I have 250 of the strobes and ordered another p2 to rune them

kane

Dedicated elf
YAGOONA LIGHTS said:
looking forward to Eds update that is for sure as I have 250 of the strobes and ordered another p2 to rune them
I think Ed was doing custom firmware for the uDCG-P2 (as opposed to an ECG-P2).. The uDCG-P2 takes DMX signal in, rather than ethernet (e1.31)

If you've only just ordered, might be worth checking with Ed, just to make sure.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I have been chatting with ed on this for a few weeks he is making it for all his boards just starting with the dmx one

justinj

Apprentice elf
I am also working on some Arduino code for them. I don't have the strobes yet (C'mon Ray, you never normally take 3 weeks to post the order, what's up?!?) so I can't test but I plan on releasing the code here when done so people can have a nice cheap option (You can pick them up for <$10 on banggood) if they can't afford another controller yet or like me have about 7 Arduino's lying around :D
I plan on having 2 versions of the code: 1 with USB support and takes 3 channel serial input via USB to control speed, % on at any time and another version that has the values hard coded but is triggered by a button/relay for connection away from the PC.
If anyone can think of something else to add to the above let me know and I'll try and put it in.

kane

Dedicated elf
justinj said:
I am also working on some Arduino code for them. I don't have the strobes yet (C'mon Ray, you never normally take 3 weeks to post the order, what's up?!?) so I can't test but I plan on releasing the code here when done so people can have a nice cheap option (You can pick them up for <$10 on banggood) if they can't afford another controller yet or like me have about 7 Arduino's lying around :D
I plan on having 2 versions of the code: 1 with USB support and takes 3 channel serial input via USB to control speed, % on at any time and another version that has the values hard coded but is triggered by a button/relay for connection away from the PC.
If anyone can think of something else to add to the above let me know and I'll try and put it in.

Sounds good - I'd probably pick a fixed speed etc and just use it all the time, so something like your latter option would be brilliant. And have it setup via a relay would work well.

On Ray's speed at the moment, my guess is that he's doing 5 or 10 times as many orders as he normally does - everyone is getting into strips and pixels, and for most of us hobbyists in the western world, our only real cost-effective option is Ray - so he's the man!