Xlights | DMX2-24 | Bunnings lights - What are the best effects to use?

SimoG

New elf
Evening All!

This is my first year of 'stepping up' the christmas lights. Last year was a number of 2-wire Bunnings lights, however having them all flash out of sequence caused me some significant distress! This year I am fixing it with a DMX2-24 to at least bring different runs all flashing in time.

The forum has been a great source of info, and I have been able to get the sequences working and getting the little led's flashing away in time. I would like to get some input from the more experienced about what are the best / most appropriate effects to use in xLights. Specifically for Bunnings 2 wire lights and the DMX2-24. Looking at the effects in xLights it is a daunting offering, and some experience to nudge me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

I have played with the ON Effect, and the start and end intensity to get some different effects, but I'm sure there are some smarter ways to do it.

I'm not looking to do too much more than what the standard bunnings lights already do, just lock together multiple runs, and maybe control between lights (Star on tree to be in sequence/time with the runs that make up the tree). I am sure in subsequent years I will have Pixels and music synced displays, just making it achievable for this year! :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Simon

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Simon,

Welcome to ACL.

Last year I had a 3 strings and one wireframe prop on a DMX2-24 board. I sequenced each channel independently using on and off effects.
This year, I've added another 8 strings (16ch) which will go throughout my hedge. These have been modelled in xLights as a 16 node single line, across the front of the property. I have used some single strand effects to get chases across them, as well as the twinkle effect.
In some sequences, they are part of the "All Lights" group, so fade in and out with full property effects as well.

I guess it really depends on how you want it to look. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it.
Play with it and see what you come up with :)

SimoG

New elf
Thank you @Skymaster ! You have solved one of my problems! I was having issues with the individual channel control using the ON effect. Using Single Strand has me addressing each channel. I was considering setting each channel as it's own model.

Just out of curiosity, if I keep multiple runs locked together, can I address a single channel within a model? ie the Gutter run will be 2-3 strands, pillars will be another 2, Xmas tree and hedges, etc. Can I turn on all the Blue/Green channels across the house? Or will I need to set each channel up as it's own model.

Cheers
Simon

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You can drill down to the individual channels when you create it as a line, so you do have the flexibility there.

Using groups, you can add the channels so you have a Gutter BG group which contains the three blue green outputs for the three strands. This way you can then sequence those colours together, if that's the way you want it to look.