12V Resistor and 12V Regulated WS2811 Pixels

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
One thing you may have not considered is that there is a newer style of 12V pixel that has the 3 LEDs in series, with controlled shunts across each LED. Off the top of my head they are GS82xx series, but I could be wrong. They've been talked about on this forum. Those pixels don't give you the usual R + G + B current figures you're expecting.

TerryK

Retired Elf
You are not wrong David, you're thinking of the Genesis Systech GS8206 and GS8208 I believe. There is some ACL Wiki information on those and you and I have both discussed them in other posts. Best as I can determine the WS2815 uses a similar design. I have some test data on the 2815s, just not ready to post it yet; sometime 2021 hopefully.

i13

Senior elf
There are some 12V pixels that run at 10mA per node to reduce the current and therefore the voltage drop and power consumption. It is explained in one of the threads that I linked to. This is done at the expense of brightness. The human eye doesn't have a linear response to brightness so the difference appears less than you'd expect.