2012 BigW 160 bulb LED Lights - How to bypass multi-function

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
it would depend on what type of controller and power supply you want to use the lights with.

Shmav78 said:
Is it possible to just remove the controller box altogether and not use the diode bridge?

Shmav78

New elf
Just the power supply that came wih the product. No controller at all. Just hard wire the leads from the bulbs straight into the lead which connects to transformer.

Shmav78

New elf
The supplied transformer is DC thou, so I would assume that I wouldn't need to use then?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
In that case of this set, you could just bypass the controller and wire the string to the original power supply. There is no diode bridge in that controller.

penguineer

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
OK, more details are required in that case. Pictures may reveal all. :)

Ah - seems I'm a bit late.....

bigw-2012-warmwhite-160ct-power-800.jpg

Matchbox for size comparison.....

Cheers!

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
This is definitely something to be very wary of. Dimming them (or even switching on/off) with a typical Christmas light AC controller could result in fireworks and bad smells for both the plugpack and/or the controller.

I really wish I had recorded the tests I did years ago switching a few different types of plugpacks with on/off and dimming at various rates. It was a great smoke show, and a little worse on a few of them :)

penguineer

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:
David_AVD said:
This is definitely something to be very wary of. Dimming them (or even switching on/off) with a typical Christmas light AC controller could result in fireworks and bad smells for both the plugpack and/or the controller.

I really wish I had recorded the tests I did years ago switching a few different types of plugpacks with on/off and dimming at various rates. It was a great smoke show, and a little worse on a few of them :)

Hmmmmm....now I'm worried - I have 16 channels of AC with the "old style"/large-white-plug BigW lights....

May have to change a few things....

Cheers!

uppitt

Apprentice elf
Hi David, can you recall whether you might think this controller can be modded to have a memory ? They don't have any memory, so was looking at having a go at modifying one. I bought a few of these $10 lights for my static display, but don't have them on the 'combo' option all the time, or having to push the button on every controller each night.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
uppitt said:
Hi David, can you recall whether you might think this controller can be modded to have a memory ?

No idea, as the mods I've helped with have always been to bypass or remove the controller!

sgian2012

New elf
Greetings from Brazil.

I am a newbie in this matter and very glad to have found this site and a discussion of what I was looking for.

I have some strings of Christmas blue leds with a MFC.
My problem now is some controllers were damaged by the rain, although I had tried to make them waterproof :'( so I would like to just bypass the controllers and light the leds directly, steady on.
They originally run on AC 127V but I have just learned from this thread that it would be much safer to have them run on low DC voltage.
The circuitry on the controller is exactly the one shown on example #2, here: http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Bypassing_Multi_Function_Controllers#Example_2

Could anyone teach this newbie here how to solve that ? Appreciate any help.

Merry Christmas!
[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]