Release 2023.02 Released

keithsw1111

Senior elf
2023.02 February 01, 2023
— enh (scott) Add “dark mode” for Windows
— enh (lutz) Add Effect Duration to the variables available to shaders
— enh (dkulp) Allow xcontroller variants to specify which “ConfigDriver” they need. Not based soley on vendor.
— enh (keith) Fix #3687 add optional frameMS and view parameters to xlDo newsequence
— enh (scott) Add Wally’s WB48
— enh (dkulp) Add Warning about potential removal of OpenGL 1.x/2.x
— enh (dkulp) Add Warning about potential removal of Windows 7 support
— enh (dkulp) Add Warning about potential removal of FPP <6 support
— bug (dkulp) Fix Twinkly output on M1 Macs
— bug (keith) Fix crash when dropping sketch effect
— bug (scott) Hopefully fix IP/Host Validation
— bug (dkulp) Fix duplication of media dirs if flip back/forth of tabs in preferences panel
— bug (dkulp) Fix DDP packet data type to match spec
— bug (dkulp) Prevent visualizer from opening up if Output to lights is on (prevents some crashes)

xLights is available for download from https://xlights.org/releases/

Issue tracker: https://github.com/smeighan/xLights/issues
Video tutorials: https://videos.xlights.org
xLights user manual: https://manual.xlights.org/xlights/

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hmm, dark mode. Think it needs work, gridlines/borders no longer appear in some areas.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hmm, dark mode. Think it needs work, gridlines/borders no longer appear in some areas.
Yes.
I see in the layout tab the boarders have gone around models and properties.

It's a very good effort done by Scott for what we have in this update, just a few minor tweaks over the next updates.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Also, where is option to swap between light and dark mode? Can't see one, or should I got to specsavers? :)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Also, where is option to swap between light and dark mode? Can't see one, or should I got to specsavers? :)
It is based off your system colour theme settings.
Windows Settings > Personalisation > Colours > 'Choose your colour'.

1675489509522.png

I do think it would be nice for an option in xlights for:
Light/Dark/System Theme.

dkulp

Full time elf
— enh (dkulp) Add Warning about potential removal of FPP <6 support

What is the effect of this? Is it just the controller upload stuff and why would pre FPP6 versions get removed?

Controller upload and fseq upload (FPP Connect). We'll be moving to a rolling "current version + previous version" model so it's currently 6.x and 5.x, but once FPP 7 is released, it will be 7.x and 6.x. If you manually configure your controllers and run them in bridge mode, you won't be affected.

Reactions: AAH

dkulp

Full time elf
What improvements are planned to FPP Connect?
The main thing I'm hoping for is simultaneous uploads to allow uploading to all FPP instances at once instead of sequentially. There are also some other changes to xLights and FPP coming for FPP7 related to command channels that will affect the fseq files.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
We'll be moving to a rolling "current version + previous version" model so it's currently 6.x and 5.x, but once FPP 7 is released, it will be 7.x and 6.x.
Is there any option to have a 'legacy' option for those using FPP v5 because of paid licencing introduced to v6<?
Or is this 'sorry, you need to pay'?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
What happened with FPP allways being FREE to DIYers,
Where now it seems they wish to Destroy alot of older shows, if they do not comply an buy new hardware just for the fpp6, there show will be dead.
So basicly the money grabbing on FPP is getting strong.

I know some people that still use FPP 3, shocking i know.. but if it works for there show,
So why should they have to buy new hardware just to continue using the latest fpp, cause there killing the old versions.
Fun fact, A old fpp version does'nt have all the hickup's, like the modern version does (talking pre new UI),

So are they scared someone will get the code an re-release it back to "FREE" for everyone.

Now i understand why they did them questions and answers fpp help topics page.
So they didn't have to state anything official, an it allows them to change the answers.

But if they want to stop me using FPP v5, cause they are money hungry grubs,
There going to have a battle on there hands.
Ive been doing this for 14yrs, and i wont be stopped by these grubs.

Them ripping off people and forcing them to use a higher fpp version,
soon they will want to charge just for using FPP, cause there money hungry grubs.

FPP was supposed to always be free, Not to provide a income to a couple of people.
(esp. A monopoly with a board designer and software designer making the rules)

Why cant the money grubs stop FPP totaly at FPP 5,

An make a commercial version with there PAID FPP 6+ version.
ohh cause no one would buy it. (unless there forced, ohh, like there now doing)

Nojoy

Full time elf
What happened with FPP allways being FREE to DIYers,
Where now it seems they wish to Destroy alot of older shows, if they do not comply an buy new hardware just for the fpp6, there show will be dead.
So basicly the money grabbing on FPP is getting strong.

I know some people that still use FPP 3, shocking i know.. but if it works for there show,
So why should they have to buy new hardware just to continue using the latest fpp, cause there killing the old versions.
Fun fact, A old fpp version does'nt have all the hickup's, like the modern version does (talking pre new UI),

So are they scared someone will get the code an re-release it back to "FREE" for everyone.

Now i understand why they did them questions and answers fpp help topics page.
So they didn't have to state anything official, an it allows them to change the answers.

But if they want to stop me using FPP v5, cause they are money hungry grubs,
There going to have a battle on there hands.
Ive been doing this for 14yrs, and i wont be stopped by these grubs.

Them ripping off people and forcing them to use a higher fpp version,
soon they will want to charge just for using FPP, cause there money hungry grubs.

FPP was supposed to always be free, Not to provide a income to a couple of people.
(esp. A monopoly with a board designer and software designer making the rules)

Why cant the money grubs stop FPP totaly at FPP 5,

An make a commercial version with there PAID FPP 6+ version.
ohh cause no one would buy it. (unless there forced, ohh, like there now doing)
Not agreeing with what they are doing, just adding an honest question. Can't users just stay at XLights 2023.1 or earlier and keep their shows going as is?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Not agreeing with what they are doing, just adding an honest question. Can't users just stay at XLights 2023.1 or earlier and keep their shows going as is?
Not if you're on a mac, because it's pushed out by the app store now, unless if you competely disable updates on the Mac (it's an all or nothing across all apps) then it'll always keep it at the latest version.