24V LED Floodlight (48 x 5050 RGB LEDs)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Another board I am designing fits into a (gutted) 150W floodlight housing. It has 48 x 5050 RGB LEDs and a constant current source for each of the 3 channels. The basic board has a 4 way terminal block on the back for connection to a standard DC controller. Each channel will draw just 160mA (480mA @ 24V DC full white).

I am also designing a small DMX board that will piggy back onto the rear of the LED board so you can run it as a P-DMX fitting. Pictures of the boards to come, but here's the floodlight I based it on (Horizon Ascot 150W Outdoor Floodlight in Black):

davidavd Horizon-Ascot-150W-Outdoor-Floodlight-in-Black.jpg

kane

Dedicated elf
So what would the light output of this be compared to one of the rainbow floods that fit in the same enclosure?

Do you think you'll sell these in assembled or kit form?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I think these would be a good candidate for a bare board / kit / coop.

Harrison did a test with 10 x triple 5050 modules (30 LEDs) and seemed happy.

I think the Holiday Coro one also uses 10 x triple 5050 modules (30 LEDs)?

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:

I was actually meaning the Rainbow ones http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm which use a different LED - I think these are the ones that FE uses. (I ordered a couple of these kits a week or two ago to test them out - I should have waited!)

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Kane said:
I was actually meaning the Rainbow ones http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm which use a different LED - I think these are the ones that FE uses.

Oh, sorry. Misread that. I really don't know how they will compare. Mine has constant current circuitry unlike the SE ones. Mine are also 24V vs 12V for the SE ones. I chose 24V to keep the current down and make them more tolerant of cable losses.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Having seen the light output from the rainbow floods and the light output from 5050 leds, these will be a good option.

No one will actually know till we have them side by side.

DA - i assume the DMX board is optional and we can just run the 48x5050 board from a dc controller?

Cheers
Phil

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The DMX board is completely optional. The LED board has a 4 way terminal block with "+ R G B" connections for use with standard (negative switching) DC controllers.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
David_AVD said:

I was actually meaning the Rainbow ones http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm which use a different LED - I think these are the ones that FE uses. (I ordered a couple of these kits a week or two ago to test them out - I should have waited!)

http://seasonalentertainmentllc.com/rainbowfloodlight.htm

The difference between the 5050 LED and the rainbow flood is the angle of the light. 5050 LEDS have a 120 to 140 degree of light dispersion where the rainbow floods are 90 degrees. So that means the rainbow floods concentrate their light over a smaller area.
So depending on what you want to achieve, one may be better than the other for certain applications.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Oh, sorry. Misread that. I really don't know how they will compare. Mine has constant current circuitry unlike the SE ones. Mine are also 24V vs 12V for the SE ones. I chose 24V to keep the current down and make them more tolerant of cable losses.
Would it be possible to adjust to 27V by any chance? I already have 5v, 12v and 27v, and would prefer to not have another voltage to have to keep track of!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Kane said:
Would it be possible to adjust to 27V by any chance? I already have 5v, 12v and 27v, and would prefer to not have another voltage to have to keep track of!

Due to the constant current circuitry, it will work over a range of voltages. Once I get the proto boards back I'll do some testing to see what the upper limit is. The higher the voltage, the more heat the CC sources have to dissipate. I don't see 27V as being a problem.

ewanh

what goes here?
ok, this is a post to watch. I like the idea of RGB floods as the wife has grown some big bushes in the front yard and taken away good lighting areas. and I like the idea of built in controllers.

I can imagine half a dozen of these lighting the bushes and front walls, making the garden glow in a changing color....
What sort of price range would you be thinking? (I haven't priced other version so I have no idea)

cheers,
Ewan

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Ewan said:
What sort of price range would you be thinking? (I haven't priced other version so I have no idea)

Can't say I've thought about what they will cost yet. More than $5. Less than $500. Zat help? LOL