Any alternative to Ray Wu?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Well having order 3 seperate lots of pixels off Ray each with the same specifications Ive had enough 4 x 100 with 8 cm spacing 6 x 100 with 10 cm spacing and 8x100 of 12 cm spacing (apparently in the 2 week period between orders the factory all of a sudden stopped making the size of my seconds order)

There is no excuse for this as each order has been very clearly explained with the same specifications and diagrams.

This is NOT a Ray "bash" he has been good about it but I am sick of flushing $$$ down the toilet

There has to be a better option than this has anyone tried any other suppliers on Aliexpress other than Ray with better success ?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
That's a shame Beacy. I agree that it's very annoying when you specify exactly what you want and the supplier still gets it wrong.

I got some modules from "Marc Mart" but had a 40% defect rate!

You should be able to offload the "wrong" strings locally, but that doesn't fix the problem of not having enough of the correct ones for your project.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
im not sure but the pixelnet strings which are 1804 IC have a better consistancy in string length. Sounds like your not the only one who has had these difficulties with consistant string lengths from Ray.
Im glad i use mainly strip, as its always the same distance for each section

guysmilez

New elf
i am also looking for a alternative to ray only because of bad communication its been 2 weeks and i have been gettting any responses for quotes and to make payments...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Have you gone into the aliexpress chat and asked whats going on, i alsways send my quote request when im in chat with Ray or one of his reps

barbotte

Apprentice elf
well maybe ray is getting lazy because he think he as the cristmas market so he can do anything he want and let go everything as no one complaint almos like he has the monopoly of it ... i am still waiting for my shipment and its been more than 3 week ,,, so i realy hope my stuff will be as spec or i will be complaining to him and alixpress cheer .. but so far ray's price on 2811 is very hard to beat ....

Binkles

Full time elf
I've only had one dealing with ray, but it was pleasant.

They may still be ramping up after Chinese New Year.

Doesn't explain the length problems though.

Trafficman

Teach Me!!!
I had three orders with Ray since Feb. Once order was wrong as I ordered 16 string at 4 inch spacing adn got 4 inch spacing from Ray. Now that I say this I was glad he sent 4 inch because it gave me extra wire between them. My next order went great with strings and power supplies. My third order like most is caught up in the new year holiday's for them. It has been a month and two emails from Ray has been answered stated he needed more time because of the factory ramping up. I depend on Ray to get me what I need and he will ask if your sure if this is what you want. I ordered weatherproof plugs and they were four pin by mistake. He sent me an email telling me that the pixels were three wire and that I may have ordered the wrong connector. I reviewed the links he sent me and sure enough I messed up. Me personally will stick with Ray. I was happy that I even got my order !!!!

Jeff Messer aka Trafficman

G

GoofyGuy

I sent Ray a request 2 nights ago, and got a response in 8 hours from him. Ive had 6 orders so far from Ray. I only had 1 issue and he fixed it on the next order. I have a monster order coming up real soon and in Ray fashion is going to make it great for me. He (the group known as Ray WU) are prompt and easy to deal with.

Also 2 years from the DEAD!

candlelight

New elf
I just placed a large order with ray, and he sent me an invoice over e-mail within 12 hours... however he also sent me his paypal info.. Does everyone go through AliExpress? I would think that would be my preference but wondered what others did?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Ive always used paypal with Ray and have never had any issues with him after dealing with him for 4 years

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Ive only gone through aliexpress once in about 6-7 orders.

When dealing direct with Ray via chat or email he will generally try to give you a discount.

Out of 6-7 orders from him (at least) there has only been one hiccup. Some connectors werent the right length, I ordered 45cm ones, not the 20cm ones. As it didnt worry me too much I didnt even bother asking him to send me right ones. Hes been really awesome with me, replies immediately and gets the order out to DHL within a couple of days. Once it gets on plane it takes 2 days to get here :)

I wouldnt go with any other :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Ive always dealt directly with ray also. Yes, there will be some problems but i've always found that he provides a solution.
When ordering anything from China you have to be 100% certain that when you order something they completely understand your requirements.
Many people will often order what they believe is the same product somewhere else and be very disappointed with the product they receive and the money they have wasted.
We all take risks in buying these items Directly from China and it is not always as simple as taking it back to the shop.
By all means find other suppliers and share your results both good and bad, but the same rules apply, it's not always as described. Do your homework.

Speedie70

New elf
Probably a little OT but perhaps relevant to the bigger picture..

A couple of weeks ago I stopped into Altronics in Clayton (Melbourne) to grab a few metres of cable. The price was pretty appalling however the convenience factor of "I need it now" somewhat overcame that.

Being the only customer in the store I figured that one of the 4 or 5 staff would notice me staring blankly at the wall of cables for 7 or 8 minutes and come help out.

Alas not so out with the iPhone to look up the product code from their website.. Finally found the code then the cable and measured and cut the length I needed. (pretty peeved by this stage)

Walk up to the counter and wait to hand over 20 odd bucks for 10 metres of 4 core security cable

Girl at the counter is on the phone to a customer ( fair enough of course)

1 bloke wanders around checking draws for something of obvious importance...

Another wanders out of the.back office and looks at me like I have leprosy, and 1 other says goodbye to the others and leaves for the day..

I've had enough by now and walk out leaving the cable on the counter..

So filthy I ring and complain to their admin office and get much apologies... We need to be better than that to compete with online.. Yada yada yada..

Next day the store manager rings me, so sorry, I watched the security video, shocking service will send you a store voucher because we want you to come back..

Not why I complained but I appreciated the gesture so give my details for him to email it.

Well that's well over a week ago and no voucher no phone call.. Must have really been sincere..

My only experience with Ray Wu's store..

Good price, responded quickly to a query and goods delivered as ordered..

To me that beats the crap out of being charged an exorbitant price for appalling service with no follow through on a promise..

Must be the GST that's killing our local retailers.... ;-)