Bridgeable or Daisy Chain Power Supplys 12v DC

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by GoofyGuy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. GoofyGuy

GoofyGuy Guest

As the title states. I have a few 12v power supplys for the house and its a chore to keep up with what power supply is feeding what string so I can power inject to the ends or centers of strings to keep things uniform and bright. I think it would be worlds easier if I had a power supply setup that I can pull from any power supply to feed power into any string regardless of where the power originally came from. Any ideas which ones are capable of such a thing?

It wont be a this year thing, I will not modify something that currently works but next season it would be cleaner.

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

You can buy power supplies that are specified or "parallel operation". I believe that they are not common or cheap though.

3. OP
    OP
    GoofyGuy

GoofyGuy Guest

Ehh it was worth a shot. Thanks David, and I miss the old Avatar and signature quote.

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

Yeah, the Devo avatar confused some people. Changed again by popular request! :D

5. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I thought it was a photo of you ;)

6. BradsXmasLights

BradsXmasLights WiFi Interactive

Find Me On:
    I think the best way round this issue to just document....EVERYTHING :D Hard to do in a hurry but will really save on time and mistakes in the future.

7. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Just so you know what happens when you mix power supplies that are not designed for this. I had accidently did this the other day, my pixels would not run, so this is what got me investigating and found i connected the injection to the incorrect power supply. What i found is that the power wires were getting very hot as the cable itself became the load between the two power supplies.

8. OP
    OP
    GoofyGuy

GoofyGuy Guest

I paid careful consideration to where power was coming from. This season wasnt too bad but a lot of double checking before I torched a power supply. Next year will be tricky.