Bridgeable or Daisy Chain Power Supplys 12v DC

G

GoofyGuy

As the title states. I have a few 12v power supplys for the house and its a chore to keep up with what power supply is feeding what string so I can power inject to the ends or centers of strings to keep things uniform and bright. I think it would be worlds easier if I had a power supply setup that I can pull from any power supply to feed power into any string regardless of where the power originally came from. Any ideas which ones are capable of such a thing?

It wont be a this year thing, I will not modify something that currently works but next season it would be cleaner.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You can buy power supplies that are specified or "parallel operation". I believe that they are not common or cheap though.

G

GoofyGuy

Ehh it was worth a shot. Thanks David, and I miss the old Avatar and signature quote.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Just so you know what happens when you mix power supplies that are not designed for this. I had accidently did this the other day, my pixels would not run, so this is what got me investigating and found i connected the injection to the incorrect power supply. What i found is that the power wires were getting very hot as the cable itself became the load between the two power supplies.

G

GoofyGuy

I paid careful consideration to where power was coming from. This season wasnt too bad but a lot of double checking before I torched a power supply. Next year will be tricky.