can i modify a store bought 8 function controller to control multiple channels?

olemiss1

New elf
Guys is this possible to do?? I have seen several companies that sell them looks like same control box that store bought have with 4 extra female plugs added to it?

olemiss1

New elf
Can I take a store bought lite set with multifunction controller ie like chasing dimming in sequence and use that box to control say 4 strands instead of one?? Wire it to control individual channels? Does that make sense??

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Short answer:

Maybe.

Long answer:

It will depend on the MF controller. Some (like the Big W units) are designed to handle the load of a few (optional) extension strings and are supplied with a plug pack that's rated for (say) 600 LEDs. Others are supplied with plug packs and controllers that are only just enough for the included string.

You don't have a location set in you profile (hint hint), so it's not clear if you're in Australia and are talking about low voltage strings or 110V/240V types.

olemiss1

New elf
David I live in U.S. So I need to crack open the controller what do I need to be looking for exactly? I can post a pic when I open it up if that helps. Also the lights are the glass style not leds

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Not sure what your options are in that case. You *may* be able to parallel the output wires of the MF controller off to another string (cut from another set). Whether the wiring and MF controller can take the extra load is another matter.

olemiss1

New elf
Trail and error I take it?? Lol how do those simple controllers work and control the lights?? Will it be just 2 lead wires that feed the lights?