cheap option for LOR CCR

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
So,
is the assumption that l have made in the addresses for the LOR boards correct?

Just want to make sure before l go a spend some $$ to get all the stuff...

I've been playing in LSP and can add the RN4. Which gives me all the different channels.

Now the hard part!
How do l make the LOR boards part of what l have set up.

Any help would be appreciate!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
First and foremost ensure you have downloaded the running LOR in DMX presentation from here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1139.0.html

Depending on what you decide to use will determine what starting adress you require for your LOR boards. If you choose to use a DR4 with the cheap $16 pixel controller then using 3 strips will give you 450 used channels. Then for your LOR board you can only use start channels in increments of 16 so the next available channel that will work with the LOR ID is 456 which is a LOR ID of 1E, then to add a second and a third controller then the ID would be channel 481, LOR ID = 1F and then 497, LOR ID = 20. so if using the $16 dmx to pixel controller you should be able to run 3 strips per controller and also use 3 LOR controllers within that universe so with the ECGDR4 that will give you 12 strips and a total of 12 x 16 channel controllers.
As far as setting up the LOR boards in LSP, just treat them as a e1.31 controller as they will be going through the ECG-DR4, of coarse you will need to configure the channels and such in LSP

Edit: with DMX the controllers dont have to be located physically in order as all they are looking for is the channels that they are assigned to.

kane

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
If you choose to use a DR4 with the cheap $16 pixel controller then using 3 strips will give you 450 used channels.

Hey Eddy - which pixel controllers are you meaning - these ones?
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-440556851/Mini-protocol-Decoder-DMX-to-LPD6803-512-dmx-address-decoded.html

If so, I am guessing these have the same limitations as the 2801 ones, which were discussed a little while ago - basically, if you get the 512 channel controller, then you cannot run more than one of these in a single universe.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1045.0.html

kane

Dedicated elf
Kane said:
If so, I am guessing these have the same limitations as the 2801 ones, which were discussed a little while ago - basically, if you get the 512 channel controller, then you cannot run more than one of these in a single universe.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1045.0.html

Forgot to say - another issue with these is that you cannot change the start address - so you get the choice of any starting channel number, as long as it's one.

Obviously, even though a 512 channel version of these listens to 512 channels, if you were only connecting a smaller subset of this number (eg 300 channels), you can still utilise the remaining 212 channels, by setting the other controller to start at 301.. However, in this situation, the order of your controllers becomes important - these controllers don't have a normal DMX out.. So you have to make sure that your other controllers are in the line first!

Basically, the easiest thing to do is either:

a) Use one of these pixel controllers per DR4 output
b) Ask Ray for either 128 or 256 channel controllers instead of 512, and plan around that.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Kane said:
However, in this situation, the order of your controllers becomes important - these controllers don't have a normal DMX out.. So you have to make sure that your other controllers are in the line first!

There is a way around this too. You just need to make up a small T connector so the data can continue on as a passive split at the controller with only a real DMX input.

bright spark

New elf
Hey guys, been awhile since I started this post. You know what its like, between having babies and trying to make other people's dreams (and my own) come to life, oh and there is that other horrible place I have to go everyday, I just need that new 30hr day to come into effect. I did test a 6803 strip with a CCR controller and got bugger all. Now I see Fasteddy claims it should work..........could quite possibly, all depends if Ray gave me the correct wiring configuration. The strip has markings of "D" "C" "S" and "L", if anyone knows what is what then please let me know and I will test it again.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes you are correct Kane as with using a ECG DR4 you get 4 DMX universes so you can run 4 of these 6803 controllers, then because your strip is only going up to 450 channels (3 strips) that then allows you to use the remaining channels for the LOR controllers. remember DMX only looks for the channels it needs to see so the 6803 controller will see all 512 channels but due to the fact you only have 450 channels in use with the 3 strips then the remaining outputs from the controller effectively do nothing. So you can then add your LOR controllers or any other controller in the channel range from 451 to 512.
You are also correct about your connection method to ensure you have the other controllers connected physically first before the 6803 controller.
The reason Ive explained the use of 3 strips and 450 channels is because the OP wants to create a 12 strip mega tree but wants to also use his existing LOR controllers. He also would like to do this as cheap as possible and this way appears to be the cheapest way to achieve what he wants

Thanks for bringing up those extra tips Kane

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bright spark said:
Hey guys, been awhile since I started this post. You know what its like, between having babies and trying to make other people's dreams (and my own) come to life, oh and there is that other horrible place I have to go everyday, I just need that new 30hr day to come into effect. I did test a 6803 strip with a CCR controller and got bugger all. Now I see Fasteddy claims it should work..........could quite possibly, all depends if Ray gave me the correct wiring configuration. The strip has markings of "D" "C" "S" and "L", if anyone knows what is what then please let me know and I will test it again.

Congrats on your new apprentice, it really does take away a lot of your time.

Yes I have got the strip working using a CCR controller but the RGB configuration will not be RGB. The wire colours you ask for are in the wiki loacated here about half way down, I hope that works for you

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Kane said:
However, in this situation, the order of your controllers becomes important - these controllers don't have a normal DMX out.. So you have to make sure that your other controllers are in the line first!

There is a way around this too. You just need to make up a small T connector so the data can continue on as a passive split at the controller with only a real DMX input.
Aha, I didn't know you could do that with DMX - you learn something every day.. (or this year, it's been more like a couple things a day!)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Kane said:
Aha, I didn't know you could do that with DMX - you learn something every day.. (or this year, it's been more like a couple things a day!)

You can T the data, providing you keep the stub length nice and short. IIRC the recommended maximum for a stub is 100mm, but you'll often get away with more.

bright spark

New elf
Hi Fasteddy, I followed your wiki and got all the pixels to come on in random colours during power up, but the controller wont do anything from there on. So if i am doing something silly feel free to give me your guidance please. On the other hand i am not too fussed as i am not that keen on pixels, I was just trying to help out my father inlaw. Plus I have enough on my plate, between him and I there are well over 400 channels and Im the little black duck who gets to wire it all up. Ok i'll stop whining, but yeah if there is a simple solution to it that would be great, mind you we're not interested in moving away from LOR.
Cheers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
OK lets start by getting some more info as it could be many things so we need to get as much info as possible.
  1. setup details of what your using and how its setup,
  2. how long is the cable from the controller to the strip,
  3. what power supply are you using
  4. what is the controller ID
  5. has the controller been tested using a normal CCR strip
  6. are you using LOR S2 to control the controller.

bright spark

New elf
Ok so I have a 6803 strip, just like the one shown in the wiki, connected to the CCR controller about 100mm away. Controller ID is 1 and yes it has been tested on a CCR and I have S2

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The 6803 strip your using appears to be made by different manufacturer to the strip i have, but i wouldnt think that should matter. Does your strip have plugs on either side or just the 1 supply plug. If it has plugs on both ends then you may be supplying from the wrong end
Ensure that you have the correct connections to the CCR controller plug and double check where the wires go and that it is the same as the CCR plug connections from the original strip
The CCR was tested with 6803 strip that i had here and David AVD was able to run a CCR strip using a ECG-PIXAD8 using the 6803 protocol so it definetly works both ways. So that now leaves me thinking that there could be some wiring issues so i would check there and ensure the clock and data wires are correct.
The other thing is to retry it using the CCR strip to ensure when you were playing that you didnt damage the output.

bright spark

New elf
The strip has only the 1 connection and I assume that D1 is in and D0 is out for example, since that was the way it came, mind you I wouldn't put it past Ray to have assed it up, it wouldnt be the first time either. definately have connected it correctly according to the original strip, but will have a go checking it still works with the real strip and then try swapping the clock and data around, I may have slipped while tracing it out. Will be back with the results after i put the kids to bed