FM transmitters

Mike

CLAP infected!
I thought it may be of some help to people starting out to know what some of us are running for transmitters
Hopefully we can get a little bit of a list going.

The one I bought is by Hlly Electronics in China. So far it has been very reliable and has not missed a beat. Sound quality has been good. It does mono and stereo output. Quite cheap compared to other brands on the market

http://www.hllyelectronics.com

Please check relevant authorities on broadcast signal strength limits etc before choosing one.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
The 25mW case-less transmitter from hlly is a Vastelec product, I might add! Hlly just sell it. So it may be better/worse/no different to other transmitters which hlly sell. But you can't beat that price!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use the EDM transmitter, a rock solid performer with unsurpassed sound quality. It definetly gets my vote for a great transmitter, its more expensive than the chinese brand but then the sound quality is much better as well

Mike

CLAP infected!
Jerome This the same I have. Works a treat :) although that links not right, thats for the TV sender

The license thing has popped up a few times. Depending on what strength transmitter you have it could be flouting the law so to speak

I think its 50mw max strength in Australia (correct me if I am wrong) before you need a license.
Although some run slightly bigger transmitters and have not been checked.
I am not condoning it though, Do so at your own risk

Westons Lights

Westons Lights
Last year I purchased the 'Whole House FM Transmitter' through LOR. I have it located nice and close to the front of the house, but do have an issue with low power lines here.
Overall, this transmitter di quite a good job, but did appear to suffer from 'Atmospheric Interferance'.
LOR have introduced an updated version of their transmitter now, which looks like this: http://www.lightorama.com/FM-RadioTransmitters.html

This year, I will be upgrading to the same type of transmitter that Alec is using and will hopefully broadcast with less interferance.

There are many different transmitters out there and it is quite difficult to know which one will suit you best, so hopefully the information left by us fellow members will be beneficial.

Cheers,
Dave

Mike

CLAP infected!
I have also heard of some people using the Belkin tunecast FM sender. Its made for an ipod but with a few small modifications and a decent antenna apparently works pretty good

Dave

Full time elf
The 25mw unit from hlly is the one i purchased last year and had no problems transmitting up to 500m from home, with a good signal upto 200m.

Dave

Mike

CLAP infected!
Im running the standard antenna it came with it (its the 50mw one I have) Its just a telescopic one.
Im getting great range with it. About 500m without distortion and a bit more with some static before it falls away. This is stereo mode too. If I put it into mono it gets more again.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
well if anyone wants a whole house transmitter i have one i can give them for free if they just pay the post. as they do no live up to there name

Binkles

Full time elf
We live in a cul de sac, would it be sufficient for that? We live in a very flat area.