FPP v6 pixel output license

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Because reading through everything is a pain, and a chart is much easier to follow, I made this based on the information provided in the release, as well as the FAQs to determine licensing - if you need to, and how you can obtain one.

This is my interpretation of it all - the FPP store (https://store.falconchristmas.com/) is the source of truth - so if there are discrepancies, obviously the FC site takes precedence. I am happy to make corrections if there are any mistakes.

1653129017296.png

The links at the bottom of the flowchart:
Purchase: https://shop.falconplayer.com/
Claim Voucher: https://shop.falconplayer.com/ufaq/...iving-free-license-key-vouchers-is-this-true/
DIY Board: https://shop.falconplayer.com/ufaq/...ense-key-vouchers-for-diy-capes-is-this-true/

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Based on the flow chart and the fact that I design/designed and built all of my range of controllers then they should always be free (up to the end of 2022 deadline).
This change is so clunky and it's going to mean a lot more work for a lot of people. It will also lead to a lot of frustration around December when people discover their newly upgraded FPP6 install doesn't work for them as expected.
The change is meant to reward the developers for their time and effort that goes into FPP. In order to implement it there is probably going to be dozens of hours just to implement it and then ongoing hours maintaining it.
In the case of my rPi-28D and rPi-28D+ which have always had 2 WS281x outputs but because of the way in which it is built the WS2801 output can be used as an additional 2 WS281x outputs there is both a need and no need to upgrade to a licence. If you want to use the 4 outputs that it's capable of then you need the DPI feature that will be in FPP6. Alternately if you want to use the onboard audio that can also be recovered by changing to DPI and that also needs the licence for FPP6. As the boards will continue to work with the pre-DPI code then they don't "need" the licence to continue working. There's about 750 of the rpi-28D/D+ out in the wild from the little over 6 years that I have been making them and they are probably in more than 20 different countries.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
The way i see it,
I will make controllers for the use on the BBB for my own show, Sell the blank board an bits to people.
But i wont be soldering them up any more, too much of a headache for the person buying it.
Esp for just a hobby.
I will just tell everyone to never touch FFP V6, cause its turning into a LOR product, pay per output

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Correct, if you want to use the new functionality (4x 2811 instead of 2x 2811 and 1x 2801, or sound + pixels simultaneously) you will need the new DPIPixels code, and therefore the license - which needs to be paid for. The Pi-Hats do not fall under the grandfather scheme as this is new functionality with FPP 6, as opposed to the BBB stuff which exists today in 5.5.
If the 4x outputs can come right now from the RPIWS2811 library - (which I didn't think it could due to the PWM requirement) - then that wouldn't be affected by the change - it would continue.

As for the HE123 etc - anyone who has purchased (or will purchase) one of your boards prior to the 31st of July this year will get a free license, as long as they redeem it before the end of the year. Unless if someone has their head in the sand until December and doesn't hear about these changes, then I think most people are covered.

You (personally) should be able to apply for your licenses for your own personal-use boards under DIY seeing you make your own boards.

Reactions: AAH

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Alec - easiest is just put a note - "If you buy a pre-assembled board, you will need to PURCHASE a license from FPP to use the outputs. If you buy a DIY kit, you can apply for a free DIY license".
That will cover it off. You inform the purchaser, you let them know the benefit of DIY, and if they still want to go down the pre-built route, they know what's coming from a software perspective.

As for the person buying the board - they either need to go through the email process, to get a voucher, to convert into a license, and apply the license to the DIY board, or just outright purchase the license and apply it - both are a pain in the butt.

SmartAlecLights

Alec - easiest is just put a note - "If you buy a pre-assembled board, you will need to PURCHASE a license from FPP to use the outputs. If you buy a DIY kit, you can apply for a free DIY license".
That will cover it off. You inform the purchaser, you let them know the benefit of DIY, and if they still want to go down the pre-built route, they know what's coming from a software perspective.

As for the person buying the board - they either need to go through the email process, to get a voucher, to convert into a license, and apply the license to the DIY board, or just outright purchase the license and apply it - both are a pain in the butt.
I charge like $5-10 to solder the board up.
If there willing to spend $45 on a licence,
Then they can afford to pay me more to solder it up.
So now a cheap DIY board is not cheap any more.

SmartAlecLights

(Posted over at FPP as well)

First Question,
What the hell is DPI pixels?

I've have had BBB48 boards since FPP came out.

When you first started talking about the eeprom thing,
I reached out to get more info about it, but got told there was plenty of information and how easy it was to use it.

Since i got no support back then, i never saw the reason to add the eeprom to my boards

Now Im being told that since someone added "DPI Pixel" code into FPP, My Controllers will No Longer Work,
and i now need to pay a license fee for my controllers to working or to sell them.

I call what you are doing is RIPPING off everyone,
(making a monopoly of 2 selected gods allowed to make controllers without license issues)

What about the original DIY RGB123 card that you based your original code on for controlling the 48 pins? (killed that in the process as well i see)

My DIY controller is only $50 (aud) and $15 (aud) soldered up.
But Now you think its fine to start demanding $50 (usd) = ($75aud) for some license for a chip, (until 2 months ago said no info on how to use it).

If you are honestly doing this for the better of the community,
-Why did you keep board designers in the dark about this eeprom an how to program it.?
-So what was your plan for using a eeprom? For board designers data? Or really a plan to add a license fee's?

You say there is a grace thing?
So how will this work?
My boards don't have the eeprom thing, due to lack of support and information from you's.

What about the customers that also have a version of my board? since no eeprom how is that possible for a license
(Also Who gave you permission to know how many controllers I sell?, This way your forcing business to give you that information to you.)

Im sorry your boards got copyed.
BUT there is no need to SCREW everyone else in this christmas hobby because of it.

Ohh i forgot,
Its Now just a money grabbing thing for you. (The Christmas spirit has left you, and you's became the Grinch stealing people's xmas shows)
Since you's want to stop all other board designers, or make it that hard for there customers.
Just so you can force them to buy your product, because its easyer to use without the license issue's

The Way you's have gone about this is totally SUS.
Also it is In moral for a business (that FPP now is due to licensing) to demand product sales information from other vendors that use this product.

Also where are my Grace Codes?
I have 8 BBB with my capes on them. So where is this illegal license your forcing on people?

Honestly there is going to be alot of abuse in zoom,
When people say to upgrade FPP and it destroys people's shows cause of your new forced license.

Unless your able to provide more information into what this license thing can do for my product.
eg.
- So i design a board to use a eeprom, for your new license.
- What are you offering the board designers for that license fee?
- You talk about special DPI pixel code, What is it? , What does it do?
- How can i integrate these new things on my boards

Does the License Fee cover any or all of the above questions?
(Or does the license only cover you's 2 and products you buy for research & future additions to your boards.)
What does the License really cover? (Some code that once worked? but you re-coded it to so you can charge money for it?)

Until you can be more Clear,
I will stick to FPP v5, and recommend everyone does the same,
Due to your money making grab, now using the license thing to back it up

Alec
SmartAlec Lights.

Katekate

Senior elf
(Posted over at FPP as well)

First Question,
What the hell is DPI pixels?

DPI Pixels is the new thing for many outputs on raspberry pi based controllers.

can also allow you to re-enable the onboard sound output with existing 2 port controllers.

Have you considered doing some reading to understand things rather than just shouting a bunch of poorly written questions?

SmartAlecLights

DPI Pixels is the new thing for many outputs on raspberry pi based controllers.

can also allow you to re-enable the onboard sound output with existing 2 port controllers.

Have you considered doing some reading to understand things rather than just shouting a bunch of poorly written questions?
Kate, Ive never herd of DPI pixels till this license thing came about.
Where is this information and the technical info about it? (ive never found it when searching)
Im sorry im not a UNI developed person that cant write questions perfectly to your specs.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
That's the whole thing. It's brand new code. Developed this year. Coming out with FPP 6.
Something that's never been used without a license. Hence the out hasn't really been heard of before.

Allows 24 ports on a raspberry pi, whilst keeping inboard sound working.

SmartAlecLights

That's the whole thing. It's brand new code. Developed this year. Coming out with FPP 6.
Something that's never been used without a license. Hence the out hasn't really been heard of before.

Allows 24 ports on a raspberry pi, whilst keeping inboard sound working.
wow, that sounds great and intresting, if using a rasp pi, but what about frame rates compared to the number of pixels etc?
So why would that effect the BBB's? If its only the rasp pi that benifit having this DPI.

SmartAlecLights

It doesn't. But the licences are also for the 48port beaglebone output code.
So basicly they could still use the old code for the BBB and the new code for the Rasp Pi.
But they choose not too.

But instead want to now rip off Customers and Designers of boards,
Esp the BBB to monopolize the market to themselves.

I sell no frills bbb 48 board for $50kit or $15 for me to solder. (RGB123 the original fpp bbb cape, similar price)
But FPP wish's to now make any future customers pay $75 ($50usd) for a license. (including myself) if i want to expand my show.
and force current stock to be binned, due to new fpp demands needing to include a eeprom to store information on.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey Alec,

I'm not a board designer - but I do share a lot of your concerns. I want your criticisms to be as sharp and direct as they can be - so I'll comment on and defend a lot of the changes here..

1) *You* can ignore the DPI stuff from the sounds of things (at least for now) - it's only for Raspberry pi boards. Lets you take those from 2 to lots of outputs.
2) I don't believe the EEPROM is *mandatory* - FPP has a backup location on the BB to store the license.
3) The grace thing is an email process - you can apply for the license now I believe. For boards already purchased.
4) Your DIY boards would be eligible for a free license even into the future. So I think the cost breakdown would be:
DIY: $50
Prebuilt: $50 + $15AUD assembly + $30USD license (I'm not sure where you got $50USD from)

SmartAlecLights

Hey Alec,

I'm not a board designer - but I do share a lot of your concerns. I want your criticisms to be as sharp and direct as they can be - so I'll comment on and defend a lot of the changes here..

1) *You* can ignore the DPI stuff from the sounds of things (at least for now) - it's only for Raspberry pi boards. Lets you take those from 2 to lots of outputs.
2) I don't believe the EEPROM is *mandatory* - FPP has a backup location on the BB to store the license.
3) The grace thing is an email process - you can apply for the license now I believe. For boards already purchased.
4) Your DIY boards would be eligible for a free license even into the future. So I think the cost breakdown would be:
DIY: $50
Prebuilt: $50 + $15AUD assembly + $30USD license (I'm not sure where you got $50USD from)
Thanks for that info.
Point 3. Ive emailed for the grace thing, but sadly still no response. (Ive asked for 8 of there licenses)
Point 4.
So basicly if i expand my show (extra BBB+cape),
- Im now forced to pay people to get rich,
- For a function that does not work for that board,
- but its the only way to now use it.
(sounds like politics' already)

Sounds like FPP v5 forever..
FPP v6 is a money grab for no extra features on a BBB

Thanks