Help needed for Noob.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
10gbe Switch with a Modem that supports those speeds.
Overkill, yes - but if you have it give it a go.
Be careful though, some 10GbE switches do not support 100Mbps links, especially if they are SFP+/SFP28 based - and pretty much everything controller wise has 100Mbps interfaces.

You wont need more than a 100Mbps switch; although gigabit may be required if you go to Colorlight cards that only have Gig PHY's on them.

I've got CAT7 cables
No you dont :) If you did, you couldnt plug them into regular ethernet hardware which takes 8P8C connectors.
You've got something (who knows what) which is incorrectly being branded as CAT7.

CAT7 was an interim specification (before CAT6A was released), which uses TERA connectors (left, shown with 8p8c for comparison) - or GG45 connectors (right):
1705278414516.png1705278345030.jpeg

Brodey

New elf
Overkill, yes - but if you have it give it a go.
Be careful though, some 10GbE switches do not support 100Mbps links, especially if they are SFP+/SFP28 based - and pretty much everything controller wise has 100Mbps interfaces.

You wont need more than a 100Mbps switch; although gigabit may be required if you go to Colorlight cards that only have Gig PHY's on them.

No you dont :) If you did, you couldnt plug them into regular ethernet hardware which takes 8P8C connectors.
You've got something (who knows what) which is incorrectly being branded as CAT7.

CAT7 was an interim specification (before CAT6A was released), which uses TERA connectors (left, shown with 8p8c for comparison) - or GG45 connectors (right):
View attachment 25329View attachment 25328
You're right! It is CAT6; I bought them about a month ago for the entire house wiring and I quickly Googled "latest ethernet" and it said CAT7, so I went with that. But, my invoice does say CAT6; all I was confident in was I bought the best ones they had at the time, and those were the ones recommended to me.

Good pickup!