HELP! What do I need for a mega tree?

christmasmatt

New elf
Do you have any specific lights you think I should get and where could I get them? Where can I buy this Raspberry Pi?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Do you have any specific lights you think I should get and where could I get them? Where can I buy this Raspberry Pi?

In addition to watching the video from earlier you should also give the 101 manual a read.

christmasmatt

New elf
In addition to watching the video from earlier you should also give the 101 manual a read.
Wht lights and Raspberry Pi would you recommend for a budget build that can still achieve simple patterns? (~32 strings)
Could you also spend also send a link for purchasing please. I‘m new to this so thanks for your help

christmasmatt

New elf
I had a look at your display videos and your meag tree looks good! What were your dimensions and what lights and star did you use?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Majority of people use 12mm bullets, in either 5V or 12V versions. There are a bunch of different varieties but those are the most common.

There are many suppliers as have been mentioned above. Both international and AU local. Indi is US based so his suppliers may not be as economical for you as the ones available here.

christmasmatt

New elf
what controller should i use? raspberry pi? where should i get it from?

would a flag pole work well?

christmasmatt

New elf
are there any other cheaper controller options?

how big should my tree be if i have a base of ~2m? how big should my star be?

darylc

404 darylc not found
Yeah there are cheaper controller options - the trade off is usually complexity. https://kulplights.com/ has beaglebone FPP based controllers that you can import.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
General rule is 2:1 on height vs base. 5m tree the base will be ~2.5m. Like everything in this hobby people have different preferences and opinions. I prefer a small topper and use the 2:1 on my tree. No right or wrong, build the tree how you want

christmasmatt

New elf
Which would you pick if i wanted to spend no more than $150? all i need are some basic patterns

How big should my star be for a ~1.9m base and a ~3.75m tree?

christmasmatt

New elf
Why if i said $500 including everything, lights, controllers, everything

all i need are some basic patterns

christmasmatt

New elf
All I need are some basic patterns.

So where can I get 32x 4m lights, a controller and all the other wirin?