HLS - New Sequencer if any are Interested

jhinkle

New elf
You can creat your own custom effect and place then on the HLS Pixel Plane

HLS provides you with a plane of pixel so you can present just about anything.

HLS allows you to place any HLS primitave effect on the Plane.

You can Place and modify a Nutcracker effect on the Plane.

This post will show you how to create your own effects an place them on the Plane.

HLS PixelPlane file import accepts a TEXT file. Doesn't need a TXT file extension - just make sure there are no formatting codes contained within.

Each line in the file represents a PIXEL. Each number with that line represents the RGB value of that pixel for a given time tic. RGB values a delimited by a space.

Example:

0 0 255 0 0 255
255 0 0 0 0 0
0 255 255 255 0 0 0

This simple example has 3 pixels and the effect is for 6 time slots. At a 50 msec resolution - that's a quater of a sec of pixel activity

A word about RGB values.

You need to make sure to generate the RGB values properly.

Vixen, which uses dot NET generates RGB backwards from what native mode Micrsoft C++ generates them.

Sean (Nutcracker) generates then the same as Vixen.

Don't worry - I correct then for native mode processing.

If you use native mode software - you will need to convert them as shown below.

RGB is a 24 bit number with red being 8 bits or 1 byte, green being 1 byte and blue being 1 byte.

The 3 color bytes are packed together as follows

Red is in bits 24 - 17
Green is in 16 - 9
Blue is in 8 to 1

If you want to have a Pixel Plane that consists of just 1 or 2 strings - try making you own effect file.

Remember - after you load it into HLS - you can change the timing to make it run half, third, or quater speed.

Enjoy.

Joe Hinkle

jhinkle

New elf
If you Have a Vixen Sequence and would like to convert it - read on.

<blockquote> If you are interested in Converting your Vixen sequence into HLS - its easy - it may take some time.

Step 1. Load your song.

Step 2. Under "File" menu - select "Import a Vixen File".

It's best to use a flattened Vixen file. If you don't have it, HLS will prompt you for a Profile.

HLS will then load your Vixen sequence and convert as many of Vixen's single tic effects into HLS primitives as it can.

When done - I suggest pressing the SAVE button.

Step 3. If your sequenced contained channels for "Pixels" - I suggest your convert those three channels into HLS RGB channels at this time.

It can dramatically reduce your channel count in the editor.

Under the "Manage Channel" menu - select "Auto Convert Channels to RGB".

The process consists of you placing on a single line - the three channels that are to be converted. Easy but can be tedious if you have a lot of pixels.

I suggest you "SAVE" your RGB conversion selections as it will build a conversion file so that the next Vixen Sequence you convert - all you do is point me to the conversion matrix - and I do the rest.

Step 4. Once you have converted your pixel channels (only if you had some) - create a LIBRARY and save the Sequence LAYOUT in the Library.

That way - when you wish to develop a sequence totally with HLS - you can load your LAYOUT from the Library and all your channels are there for you.

Enjoy.

Joe </blockquote>

jhinkle

New elf
How are you getting to your controller?

COM port?

USB device?

I add NEW output devices when someone asks and is willing to work with me in the hardware testing since I don't have the hardware.

Let me know.

Joe

angus40

Senior elf
A short video showing how to setup a few channels and other basics namely how to save your channel layout - this will save raw channel configuration to a library that you need to create.

https://vimeo.com/43021680

Cheers

DougieB

Full time elf
Hi joe
I have been playing with HLS for the last week and dscided to give you some feedback.
My system is using 1.31 feed to 2 J1sys devices, a P12R and a DR4. Once Angus helped me sort out a couple of small items, it works perfectly. I am running almos 2 universes of pixels and 2 16channel LOR cards with out any issues.
One item of improvement I would recommend is the ability to change pixel colour for multiple channels at a time. It is very slow changing 170 pixels one at a time. This is my only gripe, an I may just have missed something that allows you to do this
Great little sequencer and very easy to use
Doug

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Joe,

Just wondering if there is any plans for a matrix tool where users can create their own animations, my display is heavily based on using animations and would think that an animation tool would be of a great benifit especially with the explosion of matrices and pixel based mega trees.

angus40

Senior elf
You can use Nutcracker and create any size matrix you like , create your effects for each matrix and save the files to hls .

In hls you can create multiple pixelplanes to match your created matrices .

Then simply place the effects on the pixelplane where you like.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
angus40 said:
You can use Nutcracker and create any size matrix you like , create your effects for each matrix and save the files to hls .

I think you have misunderstood, creating an animation is different to just dropping an effect into a matrix. I want to create animations, not drop a rendered video or effect into a matrix

G

GoofyGuy

Such as Blank canvas you can draw out frame by frame.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
angus40 said:

I think you have misunderstood, creating an animation is different to just dropping an effect into a matrix. I want to create animations, not drop a rendered video or effect into a matrix

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Correct

Both LSP and LOR superstar have the ability to manually create your own animations frame by frame. Using AVIs as imports for any low res matrix just doesnt cut it with auto generated animations.

GoofyGuy said:
Such as Blank canvas you can draw out frame by frame.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
angus40 said:

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AussiePhil said:
Lightfactory personal can also do frame by frame animation

Unfortunatly LFP would be nearly 1/2 my allocated budget for the year and was never factored in so for me its out of the question for 2012.

kool-lites

Full time elf
FE do you imply LSP is not cutting it this year?
HLS is grid base, something I thought you were opposed to.

HLS has the major advantage of requiring a low spec Show computer. Functionality is similar to Vixen with some RGB smarts added/

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
kool-lites said:
FE do you imply LSP is not cutting it this year?
HLS is grid base, something I thought you were opposed to.

HLS has the major advantage of requiring a low spec Show computer. Functionality is similar to Vixen with some RGB smarts added/

Im not implying that. But i am also making sure i have a plan B if things dont go the way i am expecting.

Im not apposed to a grid based sequencer but traditional grid based sequencers can be resource hogs, this has been improving with each year and HLS has been written from the ground up to use much less resources than other programs, but the lack of any current info on LSP as of late also has me slightly concerned. I hope its more a fact that David from LSP is flat out programming LSP v2.5, the next few weeks should be telling.