House outline in electrical trunking thoughts

hamish

New elf
So I made these for my house outline and just thought I'd seek some opinions and if anyone else has done this

Finished product
16220193620188158823858333854991.jpg

The inside
16220194545924468726582315168935.jpg

And a short video of them running
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="
View: https://player.vimeo.com/video/555111666
" width="640" height="1280" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
They look good. I'm surprised how well the light comes through the plastic. My problem is my OCD would not like the inconsistent pixel spacing! LOL!!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Look good but note that this product is designed for indoors, not outdoors, so you may get 1-2 seasons before it discolors and/or becomes brittle and breaks.
Will be interesting to see how you go, but a great way to get nice straight lines and hide the wires.

hamish

New elf
Look good but note that this product is designed for indoors, not outdoors, so you may get 1-2 seasons before it discolors and/or becomes brittle and breaks.
Will be interesting to see how you go, but a great way to get nice straight lines and hide the wires.
The product is pvc U so should have protection from the sun

hamish

New elf
They look good. I'm surprised how well the light comes through the plastic. My problem is my OCD would not like the inconsistent pixel spacing! LOL!!
Yeah I feel that strip would fill the light better

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
40x25 duct/trunk from the electrical wholesalers
Magnets from eBay or local maybe Bunnings
Stainless screws and nuts from a hardware store (do not do up really tight it will break the magnets
A dab of silicon or hot glue so the nuts do not come lose
11.5mm-12mm (test first) drill to the space you want or what your string will let you and your done
1 - 4m length I have about 80 in there 4-6 magnets.

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
40x25 duct/trunk from the electrical wholesalers
Magnets from eBay or local maybe Bunnings
Stainless screws and nuts from a hardware store (do not do up really tight it will break the magnets
A dab of silicon or hot glue so the nuts do not come lose
11.5mm-12mm (test first) drill to the space you want or what your string will let you and your done
1 - 4m length I have about 80 in there 4-6 magnets.

Thank you, I googled it and found that 40x25 duct/trunk in bunnings. I will give it a try.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I purchased something similar from Amazon, an aluminum channel made for the Philips Hue strips. Same concerns, not really designed for exterior use. With the channel being aluminum it would I think be a bit more rigid that the plastic channel. As mentioned in some of the other posts, the cover diffuses but not to the point where one cannot see the individual pixels.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
The product is pvc U so should have protection from the sun
I've got a lot of strip for house outlines. I was thinking aluminium C channel, although this is cheaper (in some ways) and accommodates for bullets when the strip breaks.

But looking at the Bunnings NZ website I see this same DETA product is classed as 'PVC', not 'UPVC' like the Aussie site says.

I'm definitely interested to see how this holds up in the sun light.

hamish

New elf
I've got a lot of strip for house outlines. I was thinking aluminium C channel, although this is cheaper (in some ways) and accommodates for bullets when the strip breaks.

But looking at the Bunnings NZ website I see this same DETA product is classed as 'PVC', not 'UPVC' like the Aussie site says.

I'm definitely interested to see how this holds up in the sun light.

I'm not a 100% sure but it definetely has UV stabilised printed on the back of it I've seen this used on the exterior of buildings before but I can't say I know weather it will stay as translucent I spose only time will tell