How do "You" connect tint tubes?

Skunberg

Full time elf
I have some too :D I'm planning on putting two 40 inch tubes together. I thought I'd get all the advice I could before I start to mess them up. So how would you put two tint tubes together?

Brian

Timon

Apprentice elf
I posted a list here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1775.msg14992#msg14992

mick8248

Full time elf
Henedce, where did you get the gorilla grip, I haven't been able to find it? Or does it have a different name in Oz?
Like you I have used a split bit of tube but have put it on the inside of the tubes, I've used clear silicon as the glue and nylon screws to give some support.

Henedce

Apprentice elf
Henedce, where did you get the gorilla grip, I haven't been able to find it? Or does it have a different name in Oz?

Any company that sells Kincrome tools can get it . It is Gorilla Grip Super Glue , Part # 41004 or Kincromes Part # 4100401 for a 12 pack.

If you get real stuck yell out I could post you some but you should be able to find it locally.

mick8248

Full time elf
Thx, will have a bit more of search and see if I can find something local, Bunnings had a tarzans grip super glue that is supposed to bond to anything, wonder if it might do the same job.

Timon

Apprentice elf
The best way is not "glueing" but causing the two tubes to "melt" into each other the same way the they do acrylic. The bond you get is as strong as the original material. The solvents I listed in the link above do that. If done correctly you'll hardly see the joint. One point however you do need very straight and clean cuts, no gaps.

I would also make a "V" grove jig to keeps the parts straight centered while they setup. I did this with years ago when I made an acrylic underwater camera case. Using the jig and solvent the case was totally straight and water tight down to 50M which was the deepest I ever went or wanted to go.

Henedce

Apprentice elf
Mine have the 5050 strip mounted on a flat plastic strip which is screwed to the tube so the leds are facing forward but right at the back of the tube

Bird

LOR user
dougd said:
When using these tubes is the LED pointing directly to the front or are you turning the tube 90 degrees?
The great thing about these tubes, it doesn't matter which way the lights face. If I get the tubes to arch the way I want, the lights will be facing up at the sky. The entire tubes glows all the way around with a slight dark area where the RGB strip if laying.

mick8248

Full time elf
Timon, have you tried the solvent welding method with these tubes yet? I have had a few goes but with no success, not sure if the walls are too thin and therefore not enough surface area to join. I have found that when I injected the solvent into the join it doesn't appear to draw into the join but runs along the join and then evaporates.

Timon

Apprentice elf
Only did a test to see if the material got soft with acetone and it was starting to but I only had one tube with me so I didn't try joining it. I think that MEK work better, if you can find it, at least that's what one of the manufactures of the tubes said.

mick8248

Full time elf
Will try the local chemical/cleaning wholesaler tomorrow and see if I can obtain some MEK. Will have another go see what happens, might have to stick with gluing a split bit of tube and reinforcing with 4m nylon 10mm bolts I have been using so far.