How many pixels for radio station sign?

aplant92

Full time elf
Sorry if this is the wrong area, couldn't see any other relevant boards in custom creations!

Roughly how many pixels wide and high are these sorts of signs normally? I've got a fair few pixels left over so thinking I might make one! I have both strips and the individual bulb ones.

Also, ideas as to what I should mount it on/in and how I should get it to sit in the front yard?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
My tune-to controller PCB is designed for a regular 16 x 32 pixel P10 panel, but is displays the words one at a time due to the size. It's a simple board that plugs in with no configuration required apart from selecting the frequency and optionally the word colours.

If you want to go bigger (2x2 panels for example) then a HC-1 board is an option, but you will need to deal with the crappy Chinese software. It's not too onerous though and I have a bit of a guide on da-share.

aplant92

Full time elf
I was thinking of just hooking them all up together and then running them through XLights as a model that displays the station the whole time - is this a bad idea/hard to do?

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
One idea might be to use pieces from your spare pixel strips shining from behind a sheet of coro, with the non-text areas blacked out? @cdjazman's Merry Christmas sign topic might give you some inspiration.

Alternatively, LED Panels (P10, etc) are good for this sort of thing. I made a sign out of panels totalling 96*48 pixels, which in addition to the FM frequency also cycles through display dates and times.
View media item 463

aplant92

Full time elf
They're some great suggestions, let me investigate.

I'd be leaning more toward the LED panel though I think (I've seen enough coroflute to last me a lifetime!)

Boof63

Senior elf
First sign was coro going to 2x1 p10 panels this using info above in video.
Coro (5mm) made box with folds to create all sides.
Sign was cut out of front face = "Tune to 99.0 FM" used 20 pixel nodes (3 led per node- rectangle).
sprayed painted it black then slid another piece of 3mm in between lights and front to diffuse.
Worked very well and still have it in shed as backup, couple of bricks in bottom to keep it stationary!! when using it.
Hope this helps
Cheers Boof63

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
My panels are from Linsn LED http://www.linsnled.com/ , they are 1/4 scan, outdoor panels (waterproof from the front, when the included gasket is attached to the rear). They are P8, which are a little bit smaller (with leds closer together) compared to P10 panels. I place the tune-to sign near the kerb so P10 seemed too big (a longer distance required for readability).

Some different sized LED panels can be seen in this video:

You'll need a HC-1 panel controller like @David_AVD mentioned in his earlier post to run a sign like mine on its own. If you want to control it in a sequencer like xLights, you'll need something else. Compatibility of certain LED Panels and controllers is something you'll need to consider, too. HC-1 supports lots of panel types, if you're happy with a standalone sign: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/LED-Panel-compatibility

marmalade

cats & pixels
i've just finished a sign made from 16 rows of 60 led/m strips. 1 metre wide, took a few days to build a case for it,and running from either a pixelstick or T1000 chinese controller with an sdcard. Even at this resolution it's very readable from the street.

Attachments

• led1.jpg
    led1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 50
  • led3.jpg
    led3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48
  • led4.jpg
    led4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 48

marmalade

cats & pixels
7mm ply from bunnings, glued & screwed. Got the piece of smoked acrylic free from a local plastics place for free but should be able to get a piece for $20 if you look hard enough.

Leds are just mounted on 3mm mdf painted black, that's all you really need if hanging it in a window.