Introducing Baldrick8

G'day Dom, got the same problem. With the inbuilt test mode the pixels can be changed in brightness no probs. But if I set the pixel string in Port Config to anything other than 100% I get flickering when playing from FPP or xLights. The flickering speed seems to vary with the brightness setting like duty cycle.

Otherwise great little board, easy to setup.

Hmm let's try and get this sorted, can I get some pictures of your setup, xLights config and Baldrick8 settings and we can just double check the config (also might wanna update to the latest version)

I was also going to chase up more info so that the coding guru has more info to work with.
-Xlights version (not that it should matter)
-E1.31 or DDP
-20fps or 40fps
-connecting through a router or direct to the board? if through a router is the pc connected wired or wirelessly?
-is it a sequence running or is it just something like "output to lights" while sitting on an effect?
-when the board stops doing it's thing can you still ping the board from CMD?

I was also going to chase up more info so that the coding guru has more info to work with.
-E1.31 or DDP
-20fps or 40fps
-connecting through a router or direct to the board? if through a router is the pc connected wired or wirelessly?
-is it a sequence running or is it just something like "output to lights" while sitting on an effect?
Just having some grub, I'll set everything back up and test. Then get screenshots for you.
Had a sick daughter the last two days so had some time to tinker

Hmm let's try and get this sorted, can I get some pictures of your setup, xLights config and Baldrick8 settings and we can just double check the config (also might wanna update to the latest version)

I'll respond to Dom's questions first.

Baldrick_01 xLights Sequence Settings.pngBaldrick_01 xLights Settings.png
Baldrick_01 Data Settings.pngBaldrick_01 Ports.png

Baldrick_01 Network.png

Attachments

• Baldrick_01 Stats.png
    Baldrick_01 Stats.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 2
-E1.31 or DDP
-20fps or 40fps
Now Alan's
2024:13
E1.31
40fps
Connected to show network through router wired. Show network separate from home network, stand alone no internet
Running both methods has same effect, if Baldrick string setting below 100% get flickering. Pixel prop stalls after approx. 20mins. After resetting everything up after dinner, stalled less than 5mins of running sequence with FPP
Ping somewhat ok while stalled
Included fseq file for reference

Hope this helps!

Baldrick_01 Ping Test while Stalled.png
Baldrick_01 FPP Outputs.png

Ignore Baldrick_02, not connected.

Baldrick_01 FPP Playing.png

Attachments

• QldMini24.zip
    3 MB · Views: 1
Hope she gets better soon mate.
All good thanks mate. Just the usual, go to another kids birthday party on the weekend, swap diseases, get sick 2-3days later, annoy parent whilst taking sick day.
I'll update firmware tomorrow after work, kid going to school too (Yeh!). Sleepy time for me now.

Reactions: AAH
@BAZMick

So looking at your screenshots there are a few things that we need to improve but a few things that you could maybe do with tweaking?

1) Use DDP, it's much more efficient for this!
2) Is there a reason that you've put 35 universes but you've only got 1 prop with 100px, xLights doesn't like it and that's why it's highlighted RED, there is a lot of wasted data (300 channels used of 17850 being transmitted) and another reason for the issue.

Either way, the board should not be locking up even with these settings and we've been able to replicate the issue and are looking into a fix.

As for your network, we will look into that more but even when we replicate your locking up issue it's still responding on the network at 1ms

Thanks Dom,
1) Yep, I'll give it a go.
2) I had a "cunning plan". Until you mentioned it I thought xlights and/or FPP just omitted all unused channel data. I set all my controllers inputs to the max universe sizes, but now I see the error of my ways. I had 1 prop on just for testing and I've run out of pixels for my new props.

I'll upgrade the switch too, it's just an old clunker 5 Port 100Mbs. Time to throw in a 1GBs 8 port

I'll upgrade the switch too, it's just an old clunker 5 Port 100Mbs. Time to throw in a 1GBs 8 port
None of the controllers have gigabit ports on them; so an upgrade for speed is a somewhat moot point.
You only really need gigabit for your show player if you're streaming out to multiple controllers and exceeding the aggregate 100mbps on the show player (which in E1.31 is around 80,000 pixels at 40fps; and ~100k pixels in DDP).

That being said, if you need the extra ports, go for it :)

My FPP is on an RPi3, also not 1GBs. Hadn't thought of that! But I do need more ports

Back