Introducing Baldrick8

Just a note that we've looked into this and we can see the issue, it's going to take a bit of work to rewrite and make it work nicely (a few weeks) and it's going to require another xLights patch to be merged but I'll update when we've got it sorted.

It looks like there are a fair few boards in xLights with this issue not just the ESP ones that I first assumed so surprised it hasn't come up before.

For a short term fix you can do three things

1) put the star before the tree in the ordering on port 1 (hook your star up to the first strand of the tree)
2) put the star after the last strand in the tree (on port 8)
3) buy another board (I'd recommend this one for obvious reasons!)

both will work.

Last edited:
And I had to work around it on an Alphapix. I rewired my props to help it mesh up.

Hi Dom, this makes sense you don't need to rewrite your code. This is my second year, and I made a newbie mistake of trying to wire a prop in the middle of another prop. I concentrated too much on filling ports instead of picturing on what I was trying to do.

I have pulled the trigger on the Baldrick and am about to set it up and build in box but before I go too far just want to query a few things ( some are general and not Baldrick specific).

Am seeing differing reports on how many pixels can be run and PI requirements. I've only got about 2k pixels and currently only planning to use 6 outputs.

Longest string is 450.

All 5v..

Majority of strings have long (5-10m) runs from controller to strip.

Based on all this, I am trying to build in some capacity for PI but need to clear up the best way.

I was planning on using a second PS and distro board for the PI runs but all the talk of splitting positives/connecting negatives has me very confused.(not sure what it means in simple terms or HOW to do it)

If I connect Baldrick to 2 power supplies and have 1 drive each side,,1 power distro board per PS can I just use each PS to drive and PI the relevant outputs?( ie without worrying about splitting + etc)..

I've read loads about this, watched videos, read posts age the 101 but it's still not sink in so trying to avoid it if possible...

Any help appreciated

If I connect Baldrick to 2 power supplies and have 1 drive each side,,1 power distro board per PS can I just use each PS to drive and PI the relevant outputs?( ie without worrying about splitting + etc)..
This would be the best way to do it.

PS1 drives Outputs 1-4, and PI points 1-4
PS2 drives Outputs 5-9, and PI points 5-8

Then you use the corresponding PI point to the pixel port, and you're all set. No need to worry about any splitting, etc.

This would be the best way to do it.

PS1 drives Outputs 1-4, and PI points 1-4
PS2 drives Outputs 5-9, and PI points 5-8

Then you use the corresponding PI point to the pixel port, and you're all set. No need to worry about any splitting, etc.
Thanks for confirming 👍

Back