Is my Wiring OK? - WS2811 LED Strips

wentalong

New elf
Hi all,

New to the forum and I'm not too sure if this question is allowed because im using an Artnet to SPI controller, however it maybe could be of help to others in future!

I am looking to install WS2811 LED Strips inside coving on walls for a down lighting effect. I have drawn up a wiring plan but i am not sure if it is correct / the best way to do it.

Is there any immediate issues with my wiring plan attached? Are there any suggestions / changes that would make it better?

My common ground connection to V- will be around 32 meters and im not sure if that will be an issue for the power supplies and/or signal for the LED's? (I understand ground / V- is used in the signalling of the LEDs?)

The setup is as follows;

• WS2811 LED Strip, each Strip is 12v and 5 meters long
  • 2x 12v 60A power supplies
  • BC-204 controller (Alphapix) (Artnet to SPI), which has 4 LED outputs. Each output will send a signal to 10 meters of LEDs (2 strips per output)
  • Fused Bus Bars from Power Supply 1 & 2 will be used to provide V+ to the LED strips and controller
  • Bus Bars will be used to provide V- to the Controller and the other power supply
  • The power supplies will be connected together at V- (Common Ground?)

All wires will be routed along the edge of the wall (Not ideal as my wire lengths are pretty long, however im using 4 core 1.5mm2 cable and the voltage drop on this should (according to some rough calculations i did online) be acceptable.

The distance between Power Supply 1 & 2, and the other measurements can be found on the other attachment if it is of use!

XRL1K.png

GCGP7.png

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The number of pixels per metre is relevant to how you control things. Assuming that it's not an insane pixel per metre strip then I would ditch the second power supply as you definitely won't need it. The controller is probably more than capable of controlling 4 strips per output so I would use 1 output per side of the room. Don't connect the V+ from the controllers to strips 1 and 5. Run reasonably heavy wire from the fused bars to the start of strips 1 and 5 and some average duty cable from the starts of 1 and 5 to the ends of 2 and 6. Break the V+ at the ends of 2 and 6 and provide the same power arrangement to 3,7 and 4,8.
If you want to run with higher resolution or want to reduce the current and cable size then you could go with GS8208 strip.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
I’m still new to this but if I’m not mistaken you have the positive leads of both PSU’s tied together. They should be separated and on the negative side should be connected.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
According to the last diagrams, his positives are "broken" between the strips. (Strip A is fed from PS 1, Strip B is backfed from PS 2). Of course, I am not wearing my glasses, so take that observation with a grain of salt.
(By the way, very nice diagram.)

Reactions: AAH

Dreamin

Full time elf
It looks complicated to me, you are running power half way over the house when another PSU is right there next to it.
I would run PS1 to strips 1 & 2 on 1 & 2 on one port. and 3 & 4 on another port.
Then run the data other side of the house and power off PS2 if you have to on for ports 5-8

Or a PSU at each end, PS1 at the north, PS2 doing the south. Having strips that are flowing running like your diagram will cause you issues, you'll wire up something wrong and have the PSUs running the wrong way, or both on one prop. Even solding + and - does my head in when the manufactures can't even follow basic electrical guidelines! :laugh:

KISS method works best! :)