Jumping into pixels in 2013

Warlock

New elf
I as well am preparing to make the jump to pixels..Just not sure how to control the smart strings,intelligent pixels or whatever people are calling them...I would love to use dmx to do this very thing and I was reading about the tiger dmx dc controller anyone have info on this as I'd love to continue using my Helix controller..
Thanks in advance for any and all help..
Joe..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Intelligent pixels need a pixel controller such as the ones from J1SYS. DC controllers only control "dumb" strings and strips.

Warlock

New elf
Not according to David Moore..You can use dmx on this Tiger board to control pixels..But I also heard there was another new design coming out or being worked on over here..

Warlock

New elf
Not sure exactly...David emailed me today about a board coming out that works for intelligent pixels and runs off dmx input..He said it would be ready for May/June but I was wondering about more info on it..

Warlock

New elf
Strange as this was the site I was directed to for just this very thing...David got back to me today about it so not really sure what is up...I figured I'd come to the source and see and learn..So here I am....lol

Warlock

New elf
True and I agree just not ones that are built off of dmx to pixel...Nothing is on the market yet for intelligent strings to be controlled this way.It's why I am here cause the best I can do with the huge investment I have already is dumb strings which is great but for a few trees etc I need more control..So the smart strings are the way to go.So for this reason I wanted a controller that uses dmx in then converts it to pixel net or whatever for the control.David was talking about such a board.So I figured I'd come to the boards and see if anyone can point me in the right direction with regards to this and allow to obtain more info..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Conventional DMX is really not suitable for larger counts of pixels. Is there a reason you can't use E1.31 (Ethernet) for pixels?

Warlock

New elf
The reason is simple..The Helix I currently have doesn't support the speed of anything over dmx..So that was why I was seeking something that uses dmx for the push of data then converts it to something the pixels can understand from there..Almost like a daughter board as I can get 3 universes outta the Helix via dmx..So channel count is not really an issue,plus I have 2 more brains that can output 3 universes each..So for 1 Helix to cough out 1536 channels of dmx 512x3=1536 total..I'm pretty much covered for channel count...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You may need to take a closer look at the product matrix as the DCG-P2 is a DMX pixel controller. But i agree with David here E1.31 pixel controllers are far better for pixel control

Warlock

New elf
Eithernet is not an option as I explained above..The best I can do is dmx,not hyper dmx either...The chip used will not support it as of yet...So speed wise I am pretty much screwed unless someone designs a board that takes regular dmx and converts it to pixelnet or other protocol so then that board (like a daughter board) can communicate with the pixels etc....

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Hyper DMX is only an added option, the DCG-P2 is default a 510 channel DMX to Pixel controller