LOR CCR alternative

somthinsup

New elf
Is there a quick easy answer to this?
I'm looking for a RGB alternative to the LOR CCR. I want to the strips to look like and do all the same stuff. But I think LOR's $250 per unit is ridiculus. It looks to me that there are many cheaper options out there.
I can read through all these topics all day long and none of it would make much sense.

So I'm looking to find out what exactly do I need to make my own CCR and have it work on an LOR system without a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo that I don't understand.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes there is but its more DIY. So if you dont want to take the time to learn then you should stick with the CCRs because the reason the CCRs are so expensive is because they offer good warranty and support and are designed to be a much more plug and play option.

Trying to save money in the short term may cost you more in the long term if you have difficulties because all you want to do is just plug it in, so if thats the case then DIY is not really a good option for you.

The issue with the DIY alternatives is that they are designed for many different situations, voltages and support of different types of pixels, so without trying to have some basic understanding then you will be setting yourself up for some frustration unless you have someone who can show you. LOR CCRs come as a complete set with power supply, controller and light all matched and tested together. With the DIY option you have to choose the power supply, the controller, the type of light, and the plugs used and then connect all this up yourself.

But after saying all that, Sandevices has released a more plug and play option that may be what you are looking for called the PS1 (pixel system1) but you will need to use the E1.31 protocol instead of the LOR protocol which only the advanced version of LOR S3 will support.

Bird

LOR user
What Eddy said
FYI: If you wait until their summer sale you can usually get CCR's for $200
That's still about 25-50% more than you can do DIY but again DIY is not plug-n-play like CCR's

somthinsup

New elf
Thank you for the response. Obviously, I'm not planning on doing anything this year. But want to start heading in this direction. I've watched all of your videos on this, but still left me with lots of questions. I'll keep reading up and learning as I go.

I understand there is a big learning curve. So basically what I'm looking for is something that looks and acts like a CCR that I can play around with and learn.

Bird

LOR user
somthinsup said:
I understand there is a big learning curve. So basically what I'm looking for is something that looks and acts like a CCR that I can play around with and learn.

It's not a big learning curve but it will involve some learning. I currently use CCR's so not much help in your alternative selection.

Fill out your profile a little more, at least indicating where you are located as this can assist in the advice you receive. Different countries = different voltages, different vendors, etc.

There are a lot of friendly people here that will be glad to help you with your blinkyness. A lot of them are out each evening this time of year enjoying their displays and the people that come by to see it, but if you post questions or ask in the chat room you will get answers. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you havent already then start with the ACL 101 lighting manual, this will help you get a better idea.

The 2811 strip is the exact same design specs as the CCR and is only $32 per 5 metre strip (it actually has better dimming capability than the CCR)

Then there is the controller.

A ECG-P12R has 12 outputs and has the ability to run up to 36 strips (2 strips per output) for a cost of $175. You may want to take a look at the P12R manual.
And then there is the ECG-P2 controller as well, which is 2 outputs but can run 12 strips per output for $77 with case

Then there is the 12vdc power supply to run the controller and strip

Then you have the plugs which are 3 pin plugs you connect up to the strip

Just remember that what seems daunting and overwhelming now to you, in 4 months will be much easier to understand. There is a lot of money that can be saved using DIY options. But this comes at a cost of time and knowledge, so one must assess what is more value to them, the cost or their time.

So that should help you get an idea on some costs and what you may be up for.

Streetrodder

New elf
I agree with Eddy he has helped me a lot this year and I added a 16' RGB Mega Tree this year using bascially everything he mentioned but mine are pixels instead of the strip, but I will say everyone has said it has made the show completely over the top. Read up on everything Eddy mentioned and make sure of all your decisions so when you order it from LOR or Ray if you go the DIY route you will not be disappointed. There is plenty of support here to help you through the tough areas if you get stuck on something. Good Luck, remember it's supposed to be fun!!!

dannyp

Full time elf
Eddy, thanks for all your knowledge on this addiction. I'm a bit uncertain when it comes to matters of power. The 3core connections you suggested wont suite me as I have some 4 cable CCRs that I am working with. Would the following be ok to use?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4core-waterproof-connector-with-20cm-long-cable-male-and-female-black-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_601827982.html

Is there a general principal that you can use any connectors as long as it has the correct number of cores to correspond to the number of wires in the string/strip or is it ok if you use a 4 core connector with a 3 wire light? This has always confused me

Danny

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DannyP said:
Eddy, thanks for all your knowledge on this addiction. I'm a bit uncertain when it comes to matters of power. The 3core connections you suggested wont suite me as I have some 4 cable CCRs that I am working with. Would the following be ok to use?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4core-waterproof-connector-with-20cm-long-cable-male-and-female-black-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_601827982.html

Is there a general principal that you can use any connectors as long as it has the correct number of cores to correspond to the number of wires in the string/strip or is it ok if you use a 4 core connector with a 3 wire light? This has always confused me

Danny

They will do the job and in fact i use the white 4 core plug on my old CCR strips which now run from an ECG-P12R

There is no issue using 4 core on a 3 core strip like the 2811, all it means is that the cost is slightly higher for a core you wont be using. Just make sure you always use the same colours for +V, GND and Data. and the clock will end up being the spare when using 2811.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Just make sure you always use the same colours for +V, GND and Data. and the clock will end up being the spare when using 2811.

Just to expand on that - never assume that any two batches of (2/3/4/5 pin) cables will use the same colour wires for the same pins. In theory the same manufacturer should keep them constant, but don't bet on it.

kane

Dedicated elf
dale82 said:
Hey There, Are these extension cables able to be used as well?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3m-10feet-3-core-waterproof-extension-cable-one-end-with-male-the-other-end-with-female/654715821.html

I've got my order in the checkout but i stumbled over these and i thought that these would be great of they can be used. Your help is appreciated!
Yes, they are a great option - saves you having to solder them up all yourself. (shipping can add up though, as they can get heavy)

I had a heap of these made to the lengths I wanted (1m, 2m,3m and 5m I think?), in both 3-core and 2-core, and it makes setup a breeze.

One thing though - make sure that the connectors are the same as the plugs you connect them to - there are several types of connectors, two of which I know Ray supplies - one with a notch out of it, and another where it's like a bit of section of the circle has been cut off. If you order the connectors at the same time as the cables, it makes it pretty easy though, as just ask him to ensure they fit.

dale82

Senior elf
Thanks for the Speedy Reply, I shall contact Ray Wu and make sure that they are the Same! Once again cheers for the help!

randallr

New elf
I started with the CCR's for my 1st Pixel tree. Then I went with Ray's strips, power, and the P12R for controller. It took a fairly large box to hold the 12 LOR controllers for their strips. Instead of using their 12 bulky power supplies, I used two 360watt power supplies from Ray in two separate boxes. What I can say after building the second set with Ray's strips is that silicone sleeve may not be quite as durable as LOR's. But it shure was nice putting the small P12 to run all 12 strips with a single CAT5 cable... And E131 is the only way to go, IMO. Seems like the LOR tree has a very slight timing difference between the two seperate networks. Haven't seen any of that with the E131... All of the controllers plugged into 10/100 switches. I've even got a couple of POE powered switches out in the display in central locations in small ABS boxes....