Making 2 strings from different ports into 1 continuous string.

kmadsen15

New elf
I'm using a K16A-B and because of the power and where I wanted my controller I have it in the middle of my setup, with one string of lights on my eves going left, and one going right.

Each has 100 pixels.

I'm having a really hard time getting these to act as 1 string. Even when grouped.

1670993718872.png

1670993745685.png

Which settings do I need to tweak so that when I send a chaser down from left to right it goes all the way across the house?

Thanks.

KStatefan

New elf
I would guess that you need to change the start point on one of the strings.

If you drew each string from left to right you would need to change the left from start at green box to start at blue box.

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Just to add to what @KStatefan said, you should always draw the lines from left to right, then change the starting point as needed. So, if you were to start over, you would draw the left one, left to right, then change the starting point to the green square. Then you would draw the right side, also left to right, and leave it. If you group them and apply effects to the group, it should work correctly.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I have the same exact issue and had to use a custom model to solve the issue.

First I had to create a single strand with 2 strings. Each string had 100 pixels.
Export that model.
Imported it as a custom model.
Edit the custom model details to go from 100 - 1, 101 - 200
Set strings to 2 , turn on individual start nodes
String 1 = 1
String 2 = 101
On the controller string 1 is the first port and string 2 is the next port.

That fixed it for me.
Shout out to @merryoncherry who helped me fix my issue.

KStatefan

New elf
That seems like a complicated method of doing it but i might be missing a reason for that.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
That seems like a complicated method of doing it but i might be missing a reason for that.
In my case, some elements were wired backwards and not noticed until they were going to get put up on the house. This was the best way to fix and use them this season. Next year they will be wired properly and I will no longer need the custom model to make it work.

KStatefan

New elf
In my case, some elements were wired backwards and not noticed until they were going to get put up on the house. This was the best way to fix and use them this season. Next year they will be wired properly and I will no longer need the custom model to make it work.

Not saying it was wrong. I have had to do some complicated things to fix my mistakes

kmadsen15

New elf
So I have tried to reverse the strings to make it correct but still have the problems. I'm going to post below a video of a Chaser that I'd like to start from left to right and go across both strings as if they were one string. Maybe the custom model is the best I can do?

jingle-bells-orchestra-test_AdobeExpress.gif

Settings: LEFT_EVE is set to Start at Green Square
1671251921639.png

RIGHT_EVE is set to Start at Green Square
1671251951802.png

1671251856383.png

kmadsen15

New elf
Literally one minute after posting.. I had kind of been searching for this option.. but finally realized it.. I was looking for a way to sort them in the group and finally found this.. after pushing LEFT_EVE up above RIGHT_EVE in the list.. we are in good shape. Sorry for the annoyance and I appreciate your responses.

1671252123837.png

Attachments

• 1671252071107.png
    1671252071107.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 0

KStatefan

New elf
Your left eve should be start at blue square.

The render style can also change how it looks.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Yep rule of thumb is its best to always have the green square on the left so that the previews look correct. Whether you set the start side to green or blue should be determined by where does the controller connect. If the left eve has the controller connecting to the rightmost side then you need to select Blue Square for the start side.

Srmorgan

Full time elf
Yeah, first off just make sure it’s labeled correct. put the correct end as a start. Then similar to a comment made above I wired one of my arch’s backwards as well, and so what I did was make a sub model and started with the last pixel, putting it first and making this a model from there and that made it play nice with the other models in that group for directional stuff. so when you make the group add, the one string itself, and then the other string as the sub model, not the string Itself. Another way should work is to add both strings to a group and then change it from default to per preview. The preview will look at the strings orientation on the screen, and then decide left right from their. default, will look at where the beginning of the string is and that can make problems when stuff is backwards.