Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2013

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Re: Melbourne Mini Initial Discussion

Earlier is good but I would prefer the 18/19 May weekend as I may possibly be away the last weekend in May but I guess it depends on what suits everyone else.
Thanks TD for again putting your hand up to help out.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf

Looking forward to going again this year. 25/26th is my preferred weekend. I'm hoping to find out more about strip/pixel and J1SYS pixel boards, LSP programming.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

OK looks like we have all the weekends covered

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer

Update on venue that I can get a hold of:

We can get the venue, however because it is on a church property they have said we can use it but have to include morning church service as part of the program on Sunday and start afterwards (not that it would be compulsory). If you guys are happy to include it on the agenda and continue with the lights stuff at around 12.30 instead of the morning on Sunday, we can go ahead. But I completely understand if this seems like a weird idea - it seems a bit strange to be as well but it's the conditions they have given us.

So maybe Tuppetsdad will have to host it indeed - unless everyone here is happy with that...

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

Now that is an interesting request ... a Mini Congregation 8)

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

OK I think that their request is not unreasonable, given that the birth of Christ is the reason we have this forum, however have another suggestion.

How about we hold the mini on the proposed dates of 25th and 26th of May (Pippersmall can you move?) in Abbotsford and one of the workshops we run at the mini is the making of a navity scene (or something else they want ) which we can hand over to the same Church for them to run at Christmas. This means we can invite the secular (read lighting nuts) among our ACL bethren and we can all have some fun doing what we do best - talking and building. It would be great to have some of our team's work on display at Christmas.

Really appreciate your effort and offer L-Tay so can you let me know if this would work for you and your local church?

ltay13

Full time elf

Of course if you can run it that is totally fine - was just throwing out the best offer I could get. There is no obligation to make anything for the church's display either. However if you want a project to work on for a workshop anyway then I'm sure we can come up with something that we could put to good use, that would be great.

So you have somewhere in Abbotsford that we can run it?

kel

Dedicated elf

Fabulous idea, TD ... and will the nativity scene be animated?

tuppetsdad said:
OK I think that their request is not unreasonable, given that the birth of Christ is the reason we have this forum, however have another suggestion.

How about we hold the mini on the proposed dates of 25th and 26th of May (Pippersmall can you move?) in Abbotsford and one of the workshops we run at the mini is the making of a navity scene (or something else they want ) which we can hand over to the same Church for them to run at Christmas. This means we can invite the secular (read lighting nuts) among our ACL bethren and we can all have some fun doing what we do best - talking and building. It would be great to have some of our team's work on display at Christmas.

Really appreciate your effort and offer L-Tay so can you let me know if this would work for you and your local church?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)

Not only is it to be animated but Bruce is going to create it on his new 3D printer so I can sit there and drool at it.

I'm all for having it at your work again TD as it's a great venue and I can find it nice and easy and there's little hope of the roof caving in when I cross the portal :)

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

OK L-Tay can you please ask your friends at the church (sorry assuming you know them) what they would prefer as a feature for Christmas. I am absolutely sure that our Melbourne members (and Kel) will chip in whatever is necessary to contribute. It will also be a lot of fun for us and very nice to have a meaningful project.

I might need to upgrade our 3D printer to be big enough (or else it can be a modular nativity scene) but otherwise we can use our 3D laser to cut out whatever we need. AAH is allowed to come along and feel the bredth...

AAH

I love blinky lights :)

GRRRRRR. 3D laser. Now you're just teasing me

ltay13

Full time elf

Well we already have a nativity scene, it is getting a bit lost in the rest of the animated display because it is quite old but coming up with a way to redo it might take a bit more than a workshop. However there are a few things we were planning on adding this year. We were thinking of making some shooting stars or maybe even a talking mouth. You sound like you have quite a few nice toys TD so if we got some aluminum maybe we could cut up some designs for something like that?

kel

Dedicated elf

@ L-tay

Do you have any pics or vid of the church display?

@TD I'll contribute as long as there is a vid of the making of the item :)