Melbourne/Vic Melbourne Mini 2013

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
For the last two years (in the dim dark days of 2011 and 2012) we have hosted the Melbourne Mini in Abbotsford. This year Tuppet is getting married in the middle of the year and we would prefer if another passionate member would step up and have it at their place.

Based on the last two Mini's I suggest the following
- expect about 25-30 people
- Need projector and good internet access (including login for members during the mini)
- 2 days are easy enough to fill but not everybody can come both days
- We tried to run some sessions for newbies but not so many came so it probably needs a bit different approach
- You need space for people to set up a display of their stuff
- Better to work on an agenda and then allocate presentations to the people coming - there are a lot of smart people out there.

The mini's have generally been held in June/July but I suggest late May as June is a busy time for many people (end of financial year) and July is starting to get a bit late for members who wait for the mini to decide what to do with their Christmas show.

Based on this suggested dates are 25th and 26th May 2013

Please post your ideas!

Wiki Link (Link to all the current info)

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Re: Melbourne Mini Initial Discussion

Not that last weekend in May as I'm hoping to be in Jakarta at that time. :D maybe the week before?
I'm happy to help out but I can't host as I work weekends.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf

For the first time I wont be attending the Melbourne mini. I was not there for the initial one, but have been to every one since, including one held by John the year there was no mini, but we had a chat and dinner because Sue and I came down.

Almost a pity to miss this years, but I'd like to head north, but alas that cant happen due to one main reason, so maybe next year I might head to Melbourne again :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer

Bendigo is too far away to be considered a Melbourne Mini but I've got the room to fit dozens of people. I'm hoping to again get to Melb for at least 1 day again. The North side of Melb suits me better but the GPS can get me most anywhere :)

ltay13

Full time elf

I'm only new on here but have been doing a display for a while now. Love the atmosphere and would love to come along to the minis. I could probably organise to have it held in a hall that we use as the staging area for our display (it's at a church/school property in eastern Melbourne not home), if there was enough interested people to warrant a small hall.

Would mean plenty of room for setting up display areas and projectors, seating, cooking space etc.

Can't promise it but I can look into booking it if people are interested. What do you guys think?

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf

Welcome to ACL Itay. A small hall would be great even if it's a relatively small number of people as it gives people room to set stuff up. If you're happy to look into it, then I'd say go for it.

ltay13

Full time elf

OK I'll make some inquiries and post back when I can find out.

battle79

Full time elf

Sounds like a great idea. East side sounds even better to me. :p
I unfortunately have no room to host or access to any suitable venues, so any options put forward are welcome.

Regards,
Rowan

ewanh

what goes here?

I'll be in as well, I think i have holidays around that time also. I have no ideas for places near me to accomodate and/or have internet access, other than commercial places.

Eastern suburbs works for me!

Ewan

AntinOz

Apprentice elf

Another keen to attend here. Again, not much help with a venue. East sounds good to me but, as someone else stated, my GPS will get me pretty much anywhere.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

OK so Brother Tuppet and I are prepared to run the 2013 Melbourne Mini at our Abbotsford Office again. Tess will be tied up with her job and wedding, I will be travelling a lot and so Brother Tuppet will be responsible for organisation, food (eating) and keeping everybody happy plus looking for door prizes etc.

So again suggest we have a bit earlier so people have time to buy stuff and try things later. Suggested date is 25th and 26th of May (Tuppet's wedding is mid July and stress levels will be high).

So please let me know if you are interested (David AVD please put up info on the wiki ) and add your name to wiki or post here if you think you can come. If you want another date please put your case forward.

Also please give some suggestions for the agenda topics - there are probably heaps - 3D printing comes to mind!

ltay13

Full time elf

Are you sure? I do have a request in for a hall but it is taking a while to get approved. I can cancel though if you are definitely good to host.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support

No probs L-Tay if you prefer to host then we will be pleased to come along just did not get a positive date so have proposed we can host again. Let me know what you think

ltay13

Full time elf

OK well I will press for a definitive answer this week and post back. If I can't get it confirmed then we can use you're venue. I was hoping to alleviate some of the pressure seeing as you asked in your first post - but I'll make sure I let everyone know very soon if I can follow through or not.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf

The earlier date sounds better as your right it gives more time for people buy stuff once there plans have been changed due to the info gained. And trust me they will change :)
For the ajenda can I suggest a more in depth look at LSP maybe get someone to run through different ways of sequencing and as Pixels now seem to be the standard maybe some set up methodology.