Moving Head Spotlights

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
FYI
Anyone thinking of using moving heads in their display, this video has some clever ways to set them up in layout and to sequence them:
youtube.com/watch?v=9AkyT_O7zvw&ab_channel=SwyperOrozco

Long video in which he also talks about and shows his weatherproof 350W moving head lights, and issues to be aware of if purchasing.

Has any one daisy chained Moving heads ?? Does any one know why only the group model works. When I put things on each of the single Moving heads nothing happens ??

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Has any one daisy chained Moving heads ?? Does any one know why only the group model works. When I put things on each of the single Moving heads nothing happens ??
You dont have to group them like Swyper did, it's just an easy method to control them all at once.
I dont have sub-models and groups like Swyper, just have a group containing whole fixtures, but I might change to his method.
I either program whole group, or individual fixture, depending if I want them to be doing the same thing or not.

Not sure why, but when Gil first added moving heads he made a video and said if you want to group them you had to set Default Layout Mode to Single Line. As Swyper said in his video, you also have to change Render Style to get them to work as a group.

Not sure why nothing would happen when you put things on a single MH? They are basically just the same as any other prop, though you do still need a DMX effect on each one, and then you can add an effect like a colour wash above the DMX effect. remember that depending on the type of fixture some effects wont work very well

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
I found the problem. You have to send the DMX channel on the DMX fixture as well and then you can separate them individually

bpratt

Senior elf
I'm considering those same lights for this year, and the waterproofing you've done looks interesting.

I was originally thinking that you'd need to have a dome, and not corners like that.

Do you have any details on how you built those covers ?

bpratt

Senior elf
FYI
Anyone thinking of using moving heads in their display, this video has some clever ways to set them up in layout and to sequence them:
youtube.com/watch?v=9AkyT_O7zvw&ab_channel=SwyperOrozco

Long video in which he also talks about and shows his weatherproof 350W moving head lights, and issues to be aware of if purchasing.

Interesting video to watch
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkyT_O7zvw
(I've made OzAz's link clickable).

I'm keen to add at least one moving head in to my display this year, and liked the ones that he had, as not only are they super bright, they are actually weatherproof. 350w waterproof moving heads $US490 plus shipping

I've come across these that are not weatherproof 230w moving heads for just under $US400 including DHL shipping.

I've seen what sort of enclosure that Foodi has done, so that would effectively give me a weather resistant moving head for a reasonable price.

It's almost tempting to get two of the 230w ones from the link I included.

I'm planning to put them on the peak of my roof, which is some 100m from the road, to mostly light up the trees 20-30m behind the house, as well as in front of the house.

Would like some feedback from everyone here to what they think.

bpratt

Senior elf

So how do you deal with the heat generated by the lamp in these ?

Looking at the details of moving head lights, the lamp is on all of the time, and a shutter is used to effectively turn it on and off.

I'm looking at some 350w 'inside' moving heads, and was thinking about making my own, as the ones I linked to above are looking at about $US350 for shipping here.

bpratt

Senior elf

Zuseleets

Full time elf
IMHO they are super expensive to get the decent ones. Plus, the time it takes to sequence them is really time consuming. Just get a fobble machine. Kids love them more anyways, lol.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
I figured that sequencing them is going to be a huge job.

Thinking of a snow machine to run down the front, but those fog/bubble machines sound interesting too.
if it helps you make the decision, you can even get scented fog juice for your fobble machine.

Zuseleets

Full time elf
I was just trying to find more info on the machine. Froggy's Fog website has Apple Pie. Baked Bread, Bubble Gum, Burnt Rubber. Campfire. Cannonball. Chainsaw. Charred Corpse ( WTH?) . Cherry. Chocolate Chip Cookie. Cinnamon. Circus Animal. Coffee. Cotton Candy. Dirt. Garlic. Gun Powder/Smoke. Mildew. The list gets weirder as I read through it . Here is a link to the site. https://www.froggysfog.com/scents/scent-distribution.html#page=1