My First Project

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Looks great! Clever idea with the garage door to make it blinky but still useable.

burner

Full time elf
Can I get a little more detail on the retractable garage door lights? I was wanting to implement something similar into next years display (and have wanted to for a while), but never come up with a useable solution. Have you got it retracting on a remote control, or are they just strings hanging that you drive through?

MarcD

Full time elf
We took a 30 metre 600 light K-Mart string and we cut it down into 15 two metre lengths. We then joined each string together at the top with 4 core security cable. Basically a daisy chain. So instead of a single 30 metre length, we had a 15 string curtain. Installation was pretty simple. In the headboard above the garage, I inserted a hook on each side. I then ran a double length of blind cord from one side to the other and used one of those $2 Zenith turnbuckles from Bunnings to tension it. I looked at wire and other things, but chose the cheaper option of blind cord which only cost a few dollars for a 10m length. I bought a packet of really cheap curtain rings and we zip-tied the strings to them and hung them on the cord.

Each night, before we turn the lights on, we simply pull them across just like closing a curtain. It takes only seconds to do. At the end of the night, we just slide them back. When they're slid back, the whole lot is only about 20cm wide, so there's plenty of room to get cars in and out.

Apart from the lights, which were a birthday gift, and the 4 core cable which I had plenty of, the whole installation cost under $10. We're really pleased with the result because the garage door was the vast expanse of blankness last year.

burner said:
Can I get a little more detail on the retractable garage door lights? I was wanting to implement something similar into next years display (and have wanted to for a while), but never come up with a useable solution. Have you got it retracting on a remote control, or are they just strings hanging that you drive through?

MarcD

Full time elf
The other thing I bought this year which I've found really useful is a set of three remote control outdoor powerpoints. $24.99 from Aldi. They're all undercover, but they are IP44 rated. All of our non-controlled lighting such as rope light motifs, inflatables etc. are all plugged in through these outlets. At the end of the night, I can sit on the lounge and press three buttons on the remote to turn off all the lights. I still need to go into the garage to shut down the controller and laptop, but the remote has made life much easier. No more running around the house turning off powerpoints.

On a separate note, it seems our reputation has preceded us. On Monday night, there was a knock at the door. It was a woman from a few streets away who works at the childcare centre in our estate. The person they usually get to play Santa was unavailable this year and she remembered that we knew Santa from her visit to our lights last year. She asked if I'd do it for the centre on Friday night. I reluctantly ;) said yes and enlisted the help of Mrs. Clause and the two elves. Not only that, Santa will arrive in a police car with lights and sirens. I have to say, this will be the first time I've been in the back of a police car...true.

burner

Full time elf
I've got 3 timers (to split the load on seperate circuits) that I set to turn on at 9pm (show starts at 8:45pm for 15minutes) and then off at 9:15pm, for the 2nd show, then on again at 9:30pm till 12:00am. I have to re-synch these every couple of nights though.

I set my PC to power on (from within the BIOS) at 8:30pm and added the scheduler into the startup folder. I then have a scheduled task to shutdown my machine at 12:10am. The 2 controllers are also on timers, but it's not important that they are in synch, because they get turned on 5-10 minutes early.

I wanted my show to run on it's own, just incase I wasn't home, and certainly won't be staying up till midnight to power down.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Sounds exciting Marc, the looks on the kids faces is priceless when they see santa. Wish you the best with it

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
MarcD said:
The other thing I bought this year which I've found really useful is a set of three remote control outdoor powerpoints. $24.99 from Aldi. They're all undercover, but they are IP44 rated. All of our non-controlled lighting such as rope light motifs, inflatables etc. are all plugged in through these outlets. At the end of the night, I can sit on the lounge and press three buttons on the remote to turn off all the lights. I still need to go into the garage to shut down the controller and laptop, but the remote has made life much easier. No more running around the house turning off powerpoints.

On a separate note, it seems our reputation has preceded us. On Monday night, there was a knock at the door. It was a woman from a few streets away who works at the childcare centre in our estate. The person they usually get to play Santa was unavailable this year and she remembered that we knew Santa from her visit to our lights last year. She asked if I'd do it for the centre on Friday night. I reluctantly ;) said yes and enlisted the help of Mrs. Clause and the two elves. Not only that, Santa will arrive in a police car with lights and sirens. I have to say, this will be the first time I've been in the back of a police car...true.

This little Board from David (link) is the way I do my Inflatables and motifs at its sends RF signals to my remote switch similar to the Aldi ones. I run a seperate sequence at the start of the night to turn them on and again at the end of the night to shut them down.
I even have one hooked up to the lights on the indoor Christmas tree.

MarcD

Full time elf
I've learnt that if a kid is scared of Santa, leave them be. Never try to convince them otherwise. I discovered that many many years ago. The kid in question was my own son. If they're scared of Santa, wait a year.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Sounds exciting Marc, the looks on the kids faces is priceless when they see santa. Wish you the best with it

MarcD

Full time elf
While we're on the subject of being innovative. We had another problem we had to overcome. We ordered one of these to put on the roof

SantaReindeer.jpg

It's 5.3 metres long and is in five separate parts joined by rope light. The question was how to mount it up near the peak of the roof. The solution, Ikea. We had bought one of these gazebo's a while back. We had no need for a gazebo but hadn't been able to find curtains like that to mount around the spa in our alfresco area for privacy and protection from the sun. So we decided to buy one for the curtains, figuring we'd find a use for the frame when it came time to put up the lights.

So on Saturday, we set about building a frame. We took two of the top sections which form the sides and bolted two of them end to end. We then cable tied the frame to the bottom of each element. We then took some of the thin roof frame and taped it together to form a single length. That was then cable tied at the top of each element. Once that was done, we had a fairly solid single item, albeit 5.3 metres long and weighing more than the original.

The next step was mounting it securely to the colorbond roof. I went to Stratco and found some solid steel L Brackets designed for mounting solar panels. We lifted the thing onto the roof (that took four people) and then moved it into position. In three positions at the base, we removed the roof screws, applied a liberal dose of roof and guttering sealant and put the screw back through the bracket. The display then sat against the brackets so it couldn't move forward and tied it to the brackets with wire.

We picked three spots behind the lights and installed brackets in the roof as we had the others. From there, we ran wires to the top part of the frame. It will take a category 5 cyclone to blow that sucker off the roof. The only other thing we had to do was wrap the top bar in black gaffer tape so you couldn't see the grey bar at night.

Another excellent job by Robert and Sam. It looks awesome and you'll be able to see it from miles away.

MY03VY

New elf
Ok... don't shoot me for the cr@p quality of video... I was tired and didn't have the best stabilisation for the camera. It was shot on my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Anyway.... it seems everyone is doing Gangnam Style lights... so like a sheep, I followed the flock. Here's my version.

http://youtu.be/rBFDdXIOScU

Bear in mind too, we're controlling this off only 48 channels, using Big W strings cut down, and the whole lot from cutting strings, joining stuff, making items (the garage curtain amongst other things), learning the software and writing the sequences all started in only July with absolutely NO previous experience with this stuff.

I'm so stoked with how it's all come out.... I have to say though after countless late nights (3am some mornings), I am now burnt out. There are so many songs we want to do but I just cannot look at those little boxes in Vixen any more.

I hope you all enjoy.