My first steps into computer controlled lights

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use the 4 core 14/020 security cable, may not be the best thing to use for standard strings but its perfect for RGB lighting

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Great effort there pipersmall and thanks for posting your achievements on here.
You have shown others that it can be done in baby steps ready for a full onslaught next year.
Good Luck with your display.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Thanks Steve. Getting started was the hardest part but as I start to learn a few things its getting easier. Although I was hoping to leave all the serious DIY projects until 2012 but looks like I might have to start now as I somehow need to work out how to extend all the cables to reach the controller and then Im going to need someway of housing the controller (probably in the garage) and then work out how Im going to get all the necessary cables from the computer.

Oh, and as yet I currently do not own a soldering iron. Looks like I may have to spend all of this weeks pay at Bunnings as no doubt there are a lot of other items that I'm going to need.

ps
whats the best way to extend a lot of channels heading to the same place. If you look at the pic of my mini trees, do I need to use speaker wire for each cable (8 in total) or is there a short cut that would require less individual cables?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I used 18 core cable to make wiring harnesses for my trees. That's six 2 channel circuits per overall cable.

Normally it's fairly expensive, but I got a ripper deal on it during a clearance early this year.

It looks something like this Altronics (9 core) one:

W2712.gif

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
In it's simplest form, a wiring harness just replaces a bunch of separate cables. So, my 16 core cables replace six 3 core cables.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
But bundling cables together will reduce the overall current carrying capacity as you now need to derate the cable, not an issue if the load is not that large.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
But bundling cables together will reduce the overall current carrying capacity as you now need to derate the cable, not an issue if the load is not that large.

That is something to keep in mind. I used multi-core cable that was rated higher than my loads so it wasn't an issue.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I use 24 gauge wire for all my AC lights! ;)
Seems like the smell of the burning insulation out there in the yard keeps the critters from bothering the display!!! :eek:

Oh, and yes I am JUST KIDDING. :D
I am probably one of the most "over kill" people when it comes to electricity. Heck I run 12 Gauge power leads on my LOR controllers and only have 16 strings of LEDs on each controller total! That is only less than an amp on a controller. TeeHee
Should not make fun of a serious subject like electricity but I am know for being crazy quite a bit !! ::)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Bill Ellick said:
Heck I run 12 Gauge power leads on my LOR controllers and only have 16 strings of LEDs on each controller total! That is only less than a watt on a controller.

I'm guessing you meant "less than an Amp" ? :-\

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
HeeHee - Guess I better read my own writting before I press the big button eh?
Sorry, but Thanks for the correction.
Yes - Less than an Amp. I think the 12 Gauge leads can handle it (for now).

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for this post, looks quite handy/informative. I've just been converted to go DC by attending the Melb mini last weekend and so I'm looking into everything I need to know before shelling out for new gear.
I've been given some links in Chat for recommended power supplies & security wire to use between a board (such as AVD48) and my existing strings, but I need to know what else gear wise I will need to get on with the DC journey?
I also believe it isn't as simple as cut & connect the strings, some voltage testing needs to be done? Any other info I'll need to know to get the ball rolling would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.