Mysterious raids around the world

kidcole

My 4th year. Added RGB Last year, Pixels this year
Henedce said:
Made the first of my 2012 Columns/Fireworks/Roof Lights .. Think I am going to use as columns though , maybe 8 - 12 of them on the corners of my house. I found the easiest way to join the tubes was simply a good quality super glue and using an off cut split to wrap around and glue the join . Once they are lit up its hard to see it anyway..

Column Prototype

Column Prototype

I really enjoyed reading through this thread today. Hendece, I am curious how the modules were mounted ? Did you make a slot in the back and insert them ? I plan to see what the tinting suppliers have in my local area, here in North Carolina.

dougd

Full time elf
I was playing around with the tubes I got yesterday last night. I tried different ways of lighting them up. So far my favorite look was drilling a hole in the back of the tube and inserting the LED in the hole. It had the perfect look to me. I think I have the final piece in making my 24 pixel by 24 pixel matrix.

Timon

Apprentice elf
Bird said:
For those that want to keep the rain etc. out of the tubes. Found some end caps that fit very nicely. Cheap and fit snug without glue.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_23407-1814-PVC+00131++1000_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3357828&UserSearch=23407&Ntt=23407&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24
The same thing at HomeDepot is:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100175055/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=styrene&storeId=10051

dougd said:
I was playing around with the tubes I got yesterday last night. I tried different ways of lighting them up. So far my favorite look was drilling a hole in the back of the tube and inserting the LED in the hole. It had the perfect look to me. I think I have the final piece in making my 24 pixel by 24 pixel matrix.
That may look good but to make things waterproof, UV protected and less prone to breakage I'd go with a RGB strip stuck to the inside back of the tube. I don't think you'll see much of a difference between the two methods and you don't have all of those holes to drill :D

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I thought I'd discovered the little secret with these tubes but it looks like you've all already sussed it out!!! :eek:

I found these tubes for sale at Reverse Garbage in Brisbane. $3 for each 1.5m length. I thought they were used for frabic. It makes total sense they were used for window tint now, because there's still a bit of tint attached to one! They also have heaps of those end caps too. And cheap perspex off cuts, benchtops, although most stuff is marketed for the art/craft factor.

As for capping them off, i'm planning on gluing a 100mm glass dome light fitting to the top. Bunnings have these on clearance for $2 at my local stores atm.

kane

Dedicated elf
I'm planning on using 36 of these as a "fuzzy matrix", each with a 1.5m strip of 2801 in them (I had Ray supply them in 1.5m lengths with connectors on each end)

I'm just about finished, so even though not 100% complete (still need 2 more tint tubes - bit harder to get them over winter), I couldn't help myself and did a bit of playing:

https://vimeo.com/44179091

Bird

LOR user
Kane said:
I'm planning on using 36 of these as a "fuzzy matrix", each with a 1.5m strip of 2801 in them (I had Ray supply them in 1.5m lengths with connectors on each end)

I'm just about finished, so even though not 100% complete (still need 2 more tint tubes - bit harder to get them over winter), I couldn't help myself and did a bit of playing:

https://vimeo.com/44179091
Thank you Kane, that 1970's feel :) looks fantastic. Now you have to try words, pictures, etc. and see how that looks. :)

kane

Dedicated elf
Bird said:
Thank you Kane, that 1970's feel :) looks fantastic. Now you have to try words, pictures, etc. and see how that looks. :)
Yeah, will be playing around with text when I get a chance (couple quirks in new beta release of LSP, but when they're ironed out, should be able to use the Marquee effect in a macro to write text)

When I hang these up, there'll be about a 20mm gap between each one to have it fit across my balcony - hopefully this looks okay, otherwise next year I'll add another 8-10 tubes to have no gaps.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I picked up 14 5ft tubes and 70 2ft ones today to go with the 24 2ft ones I got a month or so back. OMG I am going to have some new elements this year. It is just as well that LOR handles pixels so well and that I now have some pixel-dc boards.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
I picked up 14 5ft tubes and 70 2ft ones today to go with the 24 2ft ones I got a month or so back. OMG I am going to have some new elements this year. It is just as well that LOR handles pixels so well and that I now have some pixel-dc boards.

Sounds like your going to have lots of fun Alan, Just be aware that these do yellow and seem to keep yellowing for a period of time once they have been put into storage, but i reakon ill get another good seaon out of them at least.

Anyway heres a video to prepare you for your sequencing thanks to oldmanfathertime1000 ;) :D
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7622502​3/IMG_0433.MOV

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Sounds like your going to have lots of fun Alan, Just be aware that these do yellow and seem to keep yellowing for a period of time once they have been put into storage, but i reakon ill get another good seaon out of them at least.
Yes, mine have gone very yellow too, and definitely moreso since being taken down. I even used some of that spray mentioned previously that might have helped prevent it.

I'm not sure that I'll use my tint tubes this year - I think I'll replace it with a 4m x 1.5m curtain of pixel balls (assuming we can get some decently waterproofed ones from Ray)..

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I used some for my mega star on my carport and they certainly yellowed. The price is pretty good though. It took me an hour to make my star and cost me about 20 cable ties. If it lasts just this season as well it will be money well spent.
I've been wondering if giving the tubes a spray with clear automotive paint will preserve them and as some of the elements I'm adding this year will have a fair few hours in them I wouldn't mind if they lasted more than 2 seasons. Hopefully they won't see anywhere near as much direct sunlight as carport star did as it copped sunlight for maybe as much as 10hrs a day for the month is was up.